Where to go in NYC

hi, since i know many of you guys are from NYC or probably been there plenty of times, I figure i’ll drop the question here. I’m going on vacation to NYC for the first time. I saw a post last year about going to see the trading floor, but i definitely won’t be able to get to see that with my extreme lack of connections. can anybody think of any must see places in NYC relating to the investment world? on a side note: Where to buy clothes, where should i go eat, and where to party :P, on a reasonable price range.

If you want to see a lot of Wall Street people in action, go visit the New York City Department of Unemployment Services in Queens around 11:30am on a weekday morning.

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you want to see a lot of Wall Street people in > action, go visit the New York City Department of > Unemployment Services in Queens around 11:30am on > a weekday morning. +1

Eat/Smoke/Drink at Florios. 192 Grand St.

buy my old apartment while you’re there! http://www.corcoran.com/property/listing.aspx?Region=NYC&ListingID=1330529

Wall Street Where to go: Central Park Museum of Natural History Greenwich Village (plenty of watering holes on basically every corner) There are also some street fairs Times Square & Rockefeller Center (typical tourist traps) Bars: I like 3rd Avenue around the 20-30’s (Village - see above) Restaurants: Just stay away from cheezy chains. I like to use www.opentable.com (usually have only high quality restaurants) or www.menupages.com for a wider selection.

Watch yourself in China Town (pick-pocketers). Go to Little Italy (aka Mulbery St.). Food is just delicious. If you’re with an other, you need to take her/him on a carriage ride around Central Park.

If you really want to be over-run by wall streeters go to Ulysees downtown at about 6:30, or go to 230 5th (much more pricey and infested with DB’s). Don’t waste your time going to the trading floors… Cheap shopping? that’s more of an “ask andy” question. I second the opentable rec. If you want somewhere more exclusive, try tableXchange.com. Who are you going with? If it’s you and the wife might be worth it to try and find the Milk and Honey number for a late night drink…

Where to eat and where to party? Let me know what your scene is, what food you like, and what your budget is, and I can lob some suggestions. I lived in New York for almost 20 years. Also check www.yelp.com – New Yorkers are bloggers and are pretty open about their feelings (both good and bad) about various venues on that site. Places you “must see” for the investment world? I agree with farley013’s suggestion – check out the Department of Unemployment Services. Cynicism aside, I’d suggest a tour of the stock exchange if you can get one; otherwise, it’s still cool just to walk around the Wall Street area and see how frenetic it can be at any point of the day during work hours. As far as what else to see, there are are so many things in New York that I wouldn’t even know what to recommend to you unless you were more specific with what you were looking for. If you have no clue what interests you, just walking around Manhattan, particularly in Times Square, Union Square, or Greenwich/East Village can be a pretty eye-opening experience. Central Park is quite a spectacle too, and my favorite museums are the Met and the MoMA. Finally, if you’re into music or the performing arts, do try to catch a concert at Lincoln Center or at Carnegie Hall. New York is the most complete city in the world, and what might be interesting to me might not have much appeal to you and vice versa. You should try to figure out ahead of time what you want to see and what excites you, because there’s so much to see in probably very little time (unless you’re unemployed).

xck2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m going on vacation to NYC for the first time. > I saw a post last year about going to see the > trading floor, but i definitely won’t be able to > get to see that with my extreme lack of > connections. My wife and I are going to the NYSE for a tour of the floor during the opening bell oo 08/14/08. It’s worth a shot to contact the NYSE! I work for TROW, I’m a registered broker, and I mentioned that our clearing firm is Pershing. I can’t imagine those credentials got us a tour; however, the gal at the NYSE said that since it’s just my wife and I, they would be able to accomodate us!

How about the NASDAQ market center in times square - that’s pretty cool. I also think the World Financial Center (part of which houses Merrill’s HQ) is pretty indicative of Wall St. along with view of Ground Zero. Good place for lunch.

I’m going on the trip with 3 of my friends, 2 of which were in business school but in the marketing side, the NYSE would be more of my personal interest and most likely an desire that i would either have to put a lot of effort to con them into going or to beg :P. So i’ll save it for a trip with more like minded people. But on Monday i intend to drag them to Wall Street to see how things are like. And despite the cynicism i do think it should be proper for me to see the effect the market has turned on wall street first hand. It should be an eye opener that i probably need to see. and the NASDAQ market center would be cool, i’ll make sure to stop by time square and ground zero for sure. We’re all either recent Undergrad grad’s or still in Uni, so budget is low. So far the plan is, Sat: dinner at a restaurant i’m still trying to pick out, broadway play, hit up a club or a bar with good music. Sun: Outlet malls Mon: Con them into going to ground zero and wall street, and time square Tues: whatever i couldn’t care, then head to Toronto where i’ll be chilling with friends for a week and a half. But i’m not planning that trip, so i’m not worrying about it. Thanks for all the suggestion guys, i’ll look at the restaurant sites, and maybe check out some of the stuff you guys mention, but no concerts or museums this time. Mayber if i take a longer trip there.

If you want to network, go to Scores. Lot’s of brokers taking whales for a view of NYC’s finest.

Just a serious FYI for a moment, the physical street of Wall Street is not very indicative of Wall Street people or culture these days. All the hedge funds and several big banks are located in East Midtown. The others are spread all over the place. The only institutions on Wall Street of any relevance are the NYSE (which is a ghost town now, was on the trading floor a couple months ago), Deutsche Bank US HQ (performance-chasing writedown-happy Europeans), and Cipriani (their food sucks). If you really want to check out the heavy hitters, take a walk on Park Avenue between 47th St. and 59th St. around lunch time or stand in front of 15 Central Park West between 6-8pm. Just don’t give any money to any MIT grads walking around with a “hire me” sign.

Try and sneak into 85 Broad.

>If you really want to check out the > heavy hitters, take a walk on Park Avenue between > 47th St. and 59th St. around lunch time or stand > in front of 15 Central Park West between 6-8pm. > Just don’t give any money to any MIT grads walking > around with a “hire me” sign. Too bad I wouldn’t recognize any of the faces! =)

federal reserve of NYC

go visit dan loeb at 53rd & park

Get ticks to Thurgood - really good…

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get ticks to Thurgood - really good… Too bad the Farnsworth Investion isn’t around anymore. That was great.