Where to Start Finance Career?

Hey guys, I passed level 1 in Dec, and will graduate in 8 months. I’ve been doing an internship in a treasury department for a few months and don’t think corporate finance is really for me. I’d like to try to land a job that relates more to the CFA curriculum than accounting, but have no clue where to look or what I would qualify for. I’ve done a bit of research and found a few banks that have intake programs for their capital groups, but this is limited. Any suggestions for what I should be looking for? I know the economy isn’t doing too well but its better than sitting around and playing games, right? p.s. To all of those who were planning on saying Mickey D’s, don’t.

Subway pays better than M’Donalds.

Thanks Joe.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Subway pays better than M’Donalds. Definitely. I worked at Subway for 5 years during HS / Undergrad, helped pay my rent while working an unpaid internship @ MS. I think the only hope for a recent undergrad these days is to get hired wherever your internship was, or maybe jump into sales somewhere where they still like to churn out lots of unqualified new FA’s. Or maybe personal banking… There are just waay to many highly qualified unemployed people floating around for someone with no experience to land anything exciting. If you can find ANYTHING that would qualify for the CFAI work experience requirement, you should jump at it right now.

cpham, it’s brutal right now, so I’d focus on your career services department and see if they can help you. If not, you may want to instead focus on putting yourself on a path to get into a good B-school in a couple years. If you go graduate from a top b-school in, say, 5 years, the industry should be much healthier. In the meantime, you may want to see if you can get a job working for an RIA or private wealth firm if you can’t get into a bigger fund company. Otherwise, do something random that may help you get into a top b-school in a few years, like work at a non-profit or Teach for America. That would actually help you get into a top b-school more than working as a grunt CPA. You also may want to look at some of the big fund companies (many are in Boston) and see if you can get your foot in the door in sales or service. Those jobs can suck, but if you pass L2 and are truly someone who belongs in research, you may be able to move over sometime down the road. That would be a last resort, IMHO, but things are so bad right now that you need to take what you can get!

Are you in the US? I was in a similar situation last year and managed to land a gig as a bank examiner/regulator. The pay is decent, benefits are killer, and it qualifies as accepted work experience for the charter.

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll keep looking at opportunities, and will hit up career services the next time I’m on campus. Do you think an MBA is a valid goal if I did my undergrad in business? The curriculum looks similar. Bpdulog, I’m actually in Canada. I assume most US banks/funds will start with US students if anything right?

Where do you live we’re going to be hiring a CSA. Willy

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Where do you live we’re going to be hiring a CSA. > > Willy I’m actually working in Vancouver, Willy. Whereabouts are you working?

cpham Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > WillyR Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Where do you live we’re going to be hiring a > CSA. > > > > Willy > > > I’m actually working in Vancouver, Willy. > Whereabouts are you working? cpham, Be warned. His next question is going to be if you can take a shot in the mouth… probably not the gig you are look for at this point in your life.

cpham Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks for the advice guys, > > I’ll keep looking at opportunities, and will hit > up career services the next time I’m on campus. > Do you think an MBA is a valid goal if I did my > undergrad in business? The curriculum looks > similar. > > > Bpdulog, I’m actually in Canada. I assume most US > banks/funds will start with US students if > anything right? I know someone who just did an joint JD/MBA at york university, toronto. He just got a associate job at Goldman NYC. So I guess, it is somehow possible. But I was also surprised, since I also have the impression, that banks in the US mainly recruiting from the US. Would be interesting to know, the ratio of US:Foreign offers. I still assume, that US banks only accept extraordinary high-flyers who haven’t attended a US school… but just my impression… correct me if I’m wrong I never heard anything back after applying to the US. In London I at least had some interviews (I’m German, where I also went to university)

I work in the GTA. My one office is in Beavercreek [Richmond Hill] but the csa role we are looking for this fall will be in Vaughan, Ontario. Willy

willyr can i send you an email about his possibly? i am in that area…

willyr can i send you an email about this possibly? i am in that area…

Sure. But first, are you good at Excel and have you worked in an office before? Willy

yes and yes, i am a couple of years out of school

cpham Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey guys, > > I passed level 1 in Dec, and will graduate in 8 > months. I’ve been doing an internship in a > treasury department for a few months and don’t > think corporate finance is really for me. > > I’d like to try to land a job that relates more to > the CFA curriculum than accounting, but have no > clue where to look or what I would qualify for. > I’ve done a bit of research and found a few banks > that have intake programs for their capital > groups, but this is limited. > > Any suggestions for what I should be looking for? > I know the economy isn’t doing too well but its > better than sitting around and playing games, > right? > > p.s. To all of those who were planning on saying > Mickey D’s, don’t. This is NOT a job board.