Whether to re-take..

… it’s a tough decision …

norwood or viniatieri… really, it’s not that tough.

Do you want the designation? Thats the only question have to answer. If yes then suck it up and re-take it.

Personally unless I was currently pleased with my career and made lots of money then I would have to keep taking it. I wouldn’t be able to write off all that wasted time failing for nothing.

re take it. michael jordan said it best: losing is part of winning

Flunked in 2007 and my wife seriously tried to dissuade me for signing up for 2008. Glad I did retake if for no other reason than to get the monkey of my back and really get my confidence back.

I would retake. If I decide to drop it, I would drop it after I passed level II. I know the concept is a little strange but I guess it is nice to have the option to take level III when the qualification is needed. the material is already there in your head, should not waste it.

I don’t know. I’m really struggling for the motivation at the moment. I’m 35 now, theoretically will be almost 38 now by the time I get the full qualification. Will my life be materially better or different if I get it ? I’m not sure.

I am 35 too and I am not sure whether the qualification is worth it either. CFA is only a small factor when they consider whether you are fit for the finance industry. I think I taking it easy and just use it as a way to fill up the gaps of my spare time … I am not going to spend more than 8 weekends and 5 annual leaves for my second attempt… don’t care if I have to fail again.

I am 36…on the one hand not even sure why i am pursuing CFA given that i have an accounting designation and already have a good job in the equities world. But - if i still have another 20 or so years worth of career ahead of me, who knows what path that will take. CFA can only help/broaden opportunities. It also shows employers, colleagues, clients committment to continued improvement - its actually really impactful for someone to see that an indivdual who is in his/her mid-30’s with an established career going back to hit the books to pursue a designation that most people use to open doors in their 20’s. Personally, i would rather spend my free time playing golf, hanging out with my wife and 1 year old daughter, going to vegas a couple times a year and doing work around my house/yard. But I think the reward of ultimately achieving designation will be well worth it… So i will be re-taking level 2 in june 2009.

for some reason I think my decision would be easier if I could retake in Dec…I wonder if all that stuff you’ve learnt thus far is just a sunk cost & should not be part of the decision…still pondering myself

I wanna kill the FAT A## gorilla on my back he is continuously cracking a beer bottle over my head!!LOL

Every moment wasted looking back keeps us from moving forward… “The brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough”…Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture Excellence through endurance, etc.

Were you in the IT Industry and got a job in equities? How did you do that? oldgitcandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am 35 too and I am not sure whether the > qualification is worth it either. CFA is only a > small factor when they consider whether you are > fit for the finance industry. I think I taking it > easy and just use it as a way to fill up the gaps > of my spare time … I am not going to spend more > than 8 weekends and 5 annual leaves for my second > attempt… don’t care if I have to fail again.