Which are the easiest Finance jobs to get for an MBA grad in Toronto?

Woah, you have an offer from Haas? Definitely take that… trust me it’ll be worth it years down the line.

OP, you should go to Berkeley and not this other place. I looked it up and I still don’t know what it is.

OP, I didn’t see it as harping on you… but more being realistic as I wouldn’t want anybody to make a $60-100k (not including opportunity cost) investment to regret it. People outside of seem to love Canada, but Toronto is a terrible place to live these days where people need to choose between paying electricity bills or feeding their kids - really - thanks for the mismanagement of our left-wing government, the electricity bills are through the roof. The “not-so-hot” finance jobs are pretty difficult to get as well as because you are competing with people with ER, IB or big 4 experience with CPA for these positions as some of them are switching for “change of lifestyle”.

Looks like you have some smarts in getting into these schools and yes… go to Haas… not Schulich. There are no guarantees in life, but it would put you in the best possible chance of getting into a good finance job.

When you come off that high horse, you’ll find that most plebs aspire to that “mediocrity”.

Oh, so did you go to Wharton or hbs?

And op, take the Haas offer

TAKE THE HAAS OFFER.

You are truly a mediocre aspiring idiot that deserves to be harped on if you take the Schulich offer instead.

I’ve refrained from weighing in here because we get hundreds of these threads every year but I need you to realize you’re making a horrible mistake. I have dozens of friends (who graduated) trying to make the transition but failing. There is no job for you here. Quick analysis: you have no finance experience, you haven’t finished the CFA, you will be competing against undergrads who have completed the CFA, and you only have 2.5 years of whatever-experience. Oh, and you’re not from here with no permanent residency, and you’re going to Schulich.

Local MBA grads from better schools can’t get good FP&A, Corp Fin, Treasury etc jobs. It’s that competitive. I don’t know what either business school has admitting you with only 2.5 years of experience. IMO they’re doing you a great disservice because you’ll be at a competitive disadvantage against all other candidates for work experience and maturity. Thus you’ll probably end up paying a low paying job and your ROI on your degree will be poor.

If you’re intent on doing your MBA at this point in your career at least go to the best school you can get into. Oh and Californian weather is much better. In conclusion, TAKE THE HAAS OFFER.

Wait Haas as in UC-Berkeley Haas? The school that is ranked #7 in US News MBA Rankings?!

Come on man…You must go to Haas. Once you get there, you don’t need CFA or past experience in finance to land a front office finance job. Get yourself an internship at PE fund in the Bay area and network (networking is part of the MBA) and you will find yourself in FO after graduation. I am not saying you are gonna be making it rain straight outta school at place like Goldman, MS, Google Capital, Citadel etc…I am saying you will get into a front office role from a school like Haas.

OP should be fed to pigs because he is simply THAT STUPID. If he truly got an offer from UBerkley and is contemplating between some shitty MBA.

Berkeley finance placement is pretty crappy actually. You can go work for tech company in a business role though. Sure there are local VC or whatever that hire from there, but most of the graduating class does something else.

Look OP, you’re a mediocre clueless guy who happened to get into a good program through a fluke. For other people, I’d say the person determines their own success. For you, you have a once in lifetime chance to marry up. I know what I would do.

Its not worth it with a girl whos truly a basic bitch, trust me.

If you are hell bent on working in Finance/moving to Toronto, I would say wait a year and do the MBA at Rotman. It is hard, but I’ve seen some people make the switch to FO finance from a totally different industry and geography(Myself included). I can’t lie though, it is still going to be a hard sell for you.

Rotman’s not even top 50 globally… why the hell would you recommend that over HAAS? And trust me Toronto is much harder than California for Indians and Asians in general as every undergraduate has at least CFA L2 completed. I know a couple people who went to school there moving back to NY due to the intense competition.

I do agree with this to some degree. The thing is very few people at Haas want to go into finance, IB, or hedge funds doing research work. Lot of them are eager to get into tech firms and climb up the corporate ladder as consultants, strategy managers, or other developmental work. From what i have heard most people who got into Haas usually gets into either CBS or NYU or both. If they were into finance, most chose the latter schools.

This is very wrong, I know several people on the state side from India that have gotten H1B sponsors (from lesser programs might I add) and also HAAS is in California where all the tech companies are so that can be very advantageous.

I did not recommend HAAS over Rotman, but given the current visa situation, it might be something to consider especially if you’re going to be taking on ~$200K worth of debt and no guarantee of an H1B visa vs ~100K USD at Rotman and a guaranteed 3 year work permit.

Also, Rotman isn’t in the top 50 globally primarily because Canadian salaries on a PPP basis tend to be lower than those elsewhere. I don’t think it’s a fair comparison, but it is what it is.

FYI, I’m Indian.

leverage up. if you dont get a job. default.

It goes hand in hand though. If fewer students want to enter finance, fewer finance firms will recruit on campus. If fewer finance firms recruit on campus, fewer students will be interested in finance, and so on. A smaller ecosystem is usually not as effective as a more diverse and developed one. I’m not sure where relative selectivity of those different schools is nowadays (although NYU is probably one tier below the other two, and is the only one where I’ve seen graduates work in non-FO roles actually). UC schools do tend to get more applicants though, since their tuition is cheaper than private schools.

Rotman’s not even top 50 globally… why the hell would you recommend that over HAAS? And trust me Toronto is much harder than California for Indians and Asians in general as every undergraduate has at least CFA L2 completed. I know a couple people who went to school there moving back to NY due to the intense competition.

Thanks for your response! Would you think Consulting or Tech would be easier to get into, in Toronto? Should I stop pursuing finance and focus my energies on Consulting and Tech, after getting a PMP certification maybe? My prior experience in Tech and the PMP certification might help me with that; Finance looks pretty dicey given that I have no experience.

I did not recommend HAAS over Rotman, but given the current visa situation, it might be something to consider especially if you’re going to be taking on ~$200K worth of debt and no guarantee of an H1B visa vs ~100K USD at Rotman and a guaranteed 3 year work permit.

Also, Rotman isn’t in the top 50 globally primarily because Canadian salaries on a PPP basis tend to be lower than those elsewhere. I don’t think it’s a fair comparison, but it is what it is.

FYI, I’m Indian.

Thank you so much for validating me to a certain extent. I think it’s difficult for others to be in our shoes especially if they don’t face the same visa regulations etc.

I’ve asked a lot of people in some of the top schools in the US and I’m getting mixed responses. A lot of them are prepared to come back to India post-graduation.

Everyone is telling you to go to haas, why are you still going on about toronto? If you’re not going to listen to what everyone here is telling you, why bother asking the questions? You clearly already already have the answers you want. You just want validation.