Which are the easiest Finance jobs to get for an MBA grad in Toronto?

Thanks for the excellent response. Apologies for the late reply.

I wasn’t pointing towards you when I mentioned “harping”. Assuming I do go to Schulich, I understand that Finance would be really difficult to get into. Do you think I should in stead focus my time in Management Consulting/Tech/Tech Consulting jobs and maybe work towards a PMP certification?

Also, regarding Haas, I’ve given it a deep and long thought. As Hustler and Kanuck (who I assume are Indians) have mentioned, we are left in a spot if we don’t get the H1B, with a 200k student debt and only option to come back to India and work. I already earn quite a lot in India and doubt it will increase substantially with a Haas MBA at my seniority. So in short, the Canadian MBA which is half the cost and which comes with a guaranteed 3 year work visa is far more attractive. I have spoken to many Indians in top b-schools in the US, and most seem to agree with me (including Wharton and HBS grads). I unfortunately know quite a few people who had to come back to India because of the lottery H1B system, which doesn’t differentiate between a $70k and a $140k job.

To the other angels here who’ve called me mediocre, stupid and are hopeful that I would be eaten by pigs: Thanks for your inputs. You can see that I’ve let myself be completely affected by your comments and will probably go into depression for the next few months because of you trolls. It’s very difficult to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and look at this from a very logical POV, rather than saying “think long term” (Look at Hustler’s and Kanuck’s comments, FYR). I come from India’s best engineering school and I’m sure I can manage my way, thank you very much.

Everyone is telling you to go to haas, why are you still going on about toronto? If you’re not going to listen to what everyone here is telling you, why bother asking the questions? You clearly already already have the answers you want. You just want validation.

Because I would’ve considered it strongly if EVERYONE asked me to go to Haas. Look at Hustler’s and Kanuck’s comments, they aren’t asking me to go to Haas.

It’s a really difficult decision to make and I want a diverse range of opinions before arriving at a decision. You’re free to ignore this thread if you want.

I wasn’t pointing towards you when I mentioned “harping”. Assuming I do go to Schulich, I understand that Finance would be really difficult to get into. Do you think I should in stead focus my time in Management Consulting/Tech/Tech Consulting jobs and maybe work towards a PMP certification?

Also, regarding Haas, I’ve given it a deep and long thought. As Hustler and Kanuck (who I assume are Indians) have mentioned, we are left in a spot if we don’t get the H1B, with a 200k student debt and only option to come back to India and work. I already earn quite a lot in India and doubt it will increase substantially with a Haas MBA at my seniority. So in short, the Canadian MBA which is half the cost and which comes with a guaranteed 3 year work visa is far more attractive. I have spoken to many Indians in top b-schools in the US, and most seem to agree with me (including Wharton and HBS grads). I unfortunately know quite a few people who had to come back to India because of the lottery H1B system, which doesn’t differentiate between a $70k and a $140k job.

To the other angels here who’ve called me mediocre, stupid and are hopeful that I would be eaten by pigs: Thanks for your inputs. You can see that I’ve let myself be completely affected by your comments and will probably go into depression for the next few months because of you trolls. It’s very difficult to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and look at this from a very logical POV, rather than saying “think long term” (Look at Hustler’s and Kanuck’s comments, FYR). I come from India’s best engineering school and I’m sure I can manage my way, thank you very much.

Take the golden ticket man, don’t throw it away like its trash

It’s the hardest decision that I’ve ever had to make. Another factor which is playing in my head: I’d have to use up all of my parent’s savings to go to Haas, with Schulich it’s just half. If for some reason a lot of cash is needed fast during this period it would be disastrous. :frowning:

So take a loan and don’t use their money. You’re being very risk averse and imo over stating the likelihood that Haas wouldn’t be worth it. or maybe I’m wrong. But it seems likely to me that the pv of an extra 70K would be far less than the value you’d get from Haas as opposed to schulich

haas makes the best avocados, no doubt

Berkeley Haas is a good school – but not any more of a golden ticket than being a CFA charterholder is.

Nothing in life is but… it’s almost as close as you’re going to find in this world.

I’ve worked with at least probably ~ ten or so Berkeley Haas MBAs (I live in the Bay Area). They all have decent positions and are reasonably smart – but they also are neither executives nor geniuses either.

Hey Cyclops,

Why dnt you try and apply for Canadian PR through the express entry system? Seems like you would be a good fit. The cut-off marks have come down quite significantly over the recent past and you might have a chance of getting an ITA through the system. This way you can accept the HaaS offer and go back to Canada if H1B doesn’t work out. I already know a couple of guys studying in the US who are planning to do this.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair concern with the H1B for sure. I am still of the view that Haas will give you the better shot because chances of landing a quality finance job in Toronto after you finish your Schulich MBA would just be that slim, However, it’s a legitimate concern and I can see why you would choose Schulich. Given that you already have a solid career in Tech, I would stick to that route - or even just stay in India if you are making a good salary. Not knowing your full situation, it seems like an unnecessary risk with minimal upside.

If anything, STEM jobs and tech consulting are more in demand from what I can see, so I would stick to that route even in Canada.

I mean, if you really wanted to see how difficult it would be to make the transition here try this following experiment. Slap on a relative’s address on your resume and start mass applying. See how many interviews you get, take the interviews, and ask them what the salary range is. Its not like going to Schulich is going to transform you into a finance superstar. If you’re already making a great salary in India, this could be a sobering experience. Factor in the high-ish cost of living here, the cost of acquiring a million dollar bungalow, starting out again at 55k CAD is not going to make that visa status worth it.

I think a lot of new immigrants make it here and realize it’s not as rosy as they thought it’d be. They get depressed and stick it out because the place is safe and clean and no one will say anything about the way you eat pray or love. It all depends if you’re willing to settle for a life of peace and quiet yet. Most people who chase money will eventually leave if they aren’t where they want to be. It all depends whether it’s a step up or step down.

just an article to think about. :

https://studentloanhero.com/featured/how-to-get-out-of-student-loan-debt-leave-country/

a friend of mine recently asked me how to short student debt too. i wouldnt do it. but how would you go about it?

The lack of jurisdictional reach for loan providers is pretty much why all banks (in Canada) will only lend 50% of the tuition value to Indian students. I get it when OP says he would rather not eat all his parent’s savings to attend Haas - he probably can’t fund a large portion of the tuition upfront by himself.

[/quote]

Fair concern with the H1B for sure. I am still of the view that Haas will give you the better shot because chances of landing a quality finance job in Toronto after you finish your Schulich MBA would just be that slim, However, it’s a legitimate concern and I can see why you would choose Schulich. Given that you already have a solid career in Tech, I would stick to that route - or even just stay in India if you are making a good salary. Not knowing your full situation, it seems like an unnecessary risk with minimal upside.

If anything, STEM jobs and tech consulting are more in demand from what I can see, so I would stick to that route even in Canada.

[/quote]

I can’t reiterate enough how important it is that you realize that Schulich is not a target school for finance or Management Consulting. If you’re hoping to snag a FO finance role by doing an MBA at Schulich, you’re going to be very disappointed. Toronto usually has about 10-15 IB associate roles every year and Rotman usually takes all of them (M7 US schools usually place 1-2 associates a year in Toronto). This year we placed 10 people at MBB. Schulich had none. Tech consulting, however is a different ball game and Schulich does place people at deloitte EY etc.

If you’re good enough to get into HAAS, you should try to go to a target school in Canada i.e. Rotman/Ivey.

Echoing most, Go to Cal! I visited twice right after high school and planned on doing 2 years at the city college to then attempt to transfer for undergrad but lucky me, the mortgage crisis hit and my dad lost his job so we all moved to FL :frowning: