Which Calculator should I buy for CFA program

hmm thanks for the replies everyone, looks like there isnt really one clear winner. I think for atleast exam1, I will get the BA II, because I have been using Texas Instrument calculators (TI-83) since I was in gr.11. The hp one looks like one that I will have to get use to in terms of format. Will the BA II be fine for exams 2 and 3 or does anyone else sugges switching to the 12C?

BAII Plus all the way. That’s all you’ll ever need.

TI-92

my bad dude, I misspoke above. The TI-92 Plus http://ti.zewaren.net/en/images/calc-ti92plus.gif

LOL that calculator looks hardcore, looks like a game system! So BA II plus or BA II plus professional, that is now the question!

918 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LOL that calculator looks hardcore, looks like a > game system! > > So BA II plus or BA II plus professional, that is > now the question! the pro’s battery is easily replaceable while you need a screwdriver for plus. However, I like the plus better in my hand, it doesn’t take too much effort to press the buttons.

Being a nerd, I always used HP. but they only had BA pro in the store so that’s what I bought. Actually I had no choice. I am happy with it works fine.

The thing is, the CFA exams don’t really require that much intensive calculation do they? I really don’t think your chances of passing would be much affected by bringing in a standard scientific calculator. For your situation, I think Texas Instruments is the way to go. You’ll have to get used to the HP format. No reason to do that if you don’t have to. As for the difference between BAII Plus and Professional - I am yet to encounter a Q that you can answer with the latter that you can’t with the former. It does have a couple of extra features but really its just a way to scam $20 more out of worried CFA candidates. Quite clever really.

ozzie123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 918 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > LOL that calculator looks hardcore, looks like > a > > game system! > > > > So BA II plus or BA II plus professional, that > is > > now the question! > > the pro’s battery is easily replaceable while you > need a screwdriver for plus. However, I like the > plus better in my hand, it doesn’t take too much > effort to press the buttons. The plus has the worst button responsive I’ve ever come across. I cannot even recall how many times I’ve made an error due to those keys. Get the pro. It’s worth it and you will not have any problems with the buttons. I have both and will be using my plus as a spare.