Which Calculator should I buy for CFA program

Did a quick search and did not find much opinions about this topic. I need to buy an approved calculator for the CFA curriculum. As far as I know CFA only approves of 4 specific calculators (Texas Instruments BA II Plus (including the BA II Plus Professional) and the Hewlett Packard 12C (including the HP 12C Platinum). I was just curious what everyone would recommend for a calculator, I understand it also has to do with personal preference. I am leaning towards the Texas Intruments one because I grew up using their calculators, but was curious as to what the differences are between the BA II plus vs the plus professional?..Is it worth the extra 20 bucks? thanks for your time.

I bought the professional version, and considering how much you’re spending on everything as a whole, 20 bucks isn’t that big of a deal.

Thanks for your suggestion, yes 20 bucks won’t be a factor in deciding which one to buy :). I am more curious about the differences between the two and what benefits if any, the Plus Professional version has over just the Plus. The only advantage I can possibly see the Plus having over the Plus Professional is being more simpler and easy to use…

Buy one on ebay, I got mine for 50% of the retail price, and it was brand spanking new.

Do you consider yourself a professional? If so, you know which one to get. Amazon.com Product Description The BA II Plus Professional calculator features all the great features of its predecessor while packing in even more time-saving functions to make short work of complex equations. It’s an ideal choice for entry level and advanced finance, accounting, economics, investment, statistics, and other business classes. It’s also a great choice to bring to the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exam. ****Along with the standard capabilities of time-value-of-money, accrued interest, amortization, cost-sell-margin, and depreciation calculations, users can calculate more advanced business and finance related issues. It will handle net future value (NFV), modified internal rate of return (MIRR), modified duration, payback, discount payback, and more. Its rugged metal exterior, firm-touch keypad and anti-slip rubber feet make it ideal for anyone in accounting, economics, investing, statistics, and related businesses. It also comes with a black protective case.****

How come CFAI doesn’t approve Casio calculators ? Japanese company ?

Not sure…but it’s nice that Casio watches are so stylish. The ladies like my synthetic rubber strap.

the TI is for babies. http://www.flickr.com/photos/draggin/15223525/

If you’re in Delhi this place has the hookup: Karan Sports And Stationers Shop No: 27 DDA Shopping Centre Ber Sarai (Ber Sarai Market) New Delhi-16 Phone: 26526163 Cost INR 3,600/- with bill.

if I were Casio I would sue

HP12c is standard issue at my company. It comes with your welcome kit.

i would use the Ipod calculator.

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you’re in Delhi this place has the hookup: > > > Karan Sports And Stationers > Shop No: 27 DDA Shopping Centre > Ber Sarai (Ber Sarai Market) > New Delhi-16 > Phone: 26526163 > > Cost INR 3,600/- with bill. Damn. Beat me to it.

ckucic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > HP12c is standard issue at my company. It comes > with your welcome kit. Do you work at Pierce & Pierce?

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > brianr Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > If you’re in Delhi this place has the hookup: > > > > > > Karan Sports And Stationers > > Shop No: 27 DDA Shopping Centre > > Ber Sarai (Ber Sarai Market) > > New Delhi-16 > > Phone: 26526163 > > > > Cost INR 3,600/- with bill. > > > Damn. Beat me to it. HAHHAHAHAAHAH!!!

been through 1 hp 12c original, 3 hp platinum and 1 ba2plus 1 ba2plus professional. industry standard is the hp hands down. i’d think twice before taking a ba2plus out in front of someone holding an hp. kinda like stopped at a red light beside a Ferrari. You’ll save time and have the peace of mind of being 100% correct instead of having to verify. Finished level 1 with 40 minutes left in both morning and afternoon. You can read question while pressing numbers without thinking. If you get the HP get the platinum anniversary as it is faster. the original 12c (gold trim) will take 30 seconds to calculate IRR…

Buy two rather than bring extra batteries to the exam.

sublimity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheAliMan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > brianr Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > If you’re in Delhi this place has the hookup: > > > > > > > > > Karan Sports And Stationers > > > Shop No: 27 DDA Shopping Centre > > > Ber Sarai (Ber Sarai Market) > > > New Delhi-16 > > > Phone: 26526163 > > > > > > Cost INR 3,600/- with bill. > > > > > > Damn. Beat me to it. > > HAHHAHAHAAHAH!!! My dream is to see an E! True Bollywood Story on Ananda some day

In all honesty, though, it depends on which level you’re taking. I can’t speak for 3, but for Level 1, you may want to bring the BA II because it could bail you out of a permutation question (nCr, nPr). I use the 12C because it can used much faster than the BA II once you get used to RPN.

Get the one with the graphing functions; the proctors choice…