Which Email Address on Resume

Do you use your current work email address or personal address on your resume? My personal address is by no means offensive. I would rather use my work address since it’s more professional, but I don’t want to make prospective employers think I’m job hunting on the clock. Opinions?

Use personal. You don’t know if Big Brother is watching your email box. If they want to meet you, they will call you to set up a meeting. They won’t do it through email.

I figured as much but thought I would check. Thanks.

“Use personal. You don’t know if Big Brother is watching your email box. If they want to meet you, they will call you to set up a meeting. They won’t do it through email.” I think the thing most employers realize or SHOULD realize is that their top talent is probably looking around or being solicited by the competition already. That notwithstanding, I still think the personal addy is best, but again - at the 10+ years plus CFA level you can probably figure that you don’t even need a resume. Meaning you should be able to get jobs or interviews by simply making a few calls. Willy

bigdaddy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Use personal. You don’t know if Big Brother is > watching your email box. If they want to meet > you, they will call you to set up a meeting. They > won’t do it through email. That’s not true, I’ve been contacted for countless interviews via email. Whenever I see hotmail or gmail on a resume I think JV. But, at the end of the day it doesn’t matter as the qualifications of the candidate and fit will drive the decision. No one will remember what email was on the resume after the interview process.

You should assume that Big Brother is watching your e-mail. It’s just not resposnible for a company to not watch e-mail (because they have this affirmative responsibility to stop sexual harassment and whatnot) and once they set that up they want to know who is looking for a job. I used to send a buddy company e-mails that said things like “I think we need to add a resume class to the thread list to apply it …” just to mess with them

Never look for jobs on company e-mail; get a personal blackberry or email on your cell phone if you need to. Also why not just use your college alumni email address if you’re concerned about people looking down on “free e-mail”? Really, if you’re qualified for the job, it shouldn’t matter what email address you use and nobody really cares either.

Looking for a new job on company email is just asking for trouble… unless your company has already given you notice and expects you to be looking. Why risk it? There is essentially zero benefit to using your work email, and many risks.

I put my dad’s email on my resume…we have the same name, then he just emails me and tells me what companies to call.

i setup a ‘free email’ account professionally to resemble what you’d see in a corporate environment. first initial then last name @ but never use your current work email. The company you work for now won’t fire you or anything silly because of it, but if it takes you longer to find a new job then expected and bonus season/promotion season comes and goes and they know you are looking, you can bet your bonus will be nothing and promotions will go to someone else.

I use a gmail account with my real name in the address.

crazy_risktaker AT hotmail DOT com Always gets a comment… :wink:

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I use a gmail account with my real name in the > address. This is what I have been using, as well. Hasn’t hurt me, yet, so I guess I will continue to use it. Oddly enough your resume thread is what spurred me to get mine up to date.

Most ISPs will let you set up multiple email addresses with your ISP service. I simply set up one of those accounts as [firstname]_[lastname]@[ispdomain].com. Looks professional, not routed through work, does the trick.

email or web capable phones are invaluable here. Some workplaces have rules about accessing personal email on company machines; others may have spy software. Doing email from a phone can help a lot in these situations, or at least for receiving email.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > email or web capable phones are invaluable here. > Some workplaces have rules about accessing > personal email on company machines; others may > have spy software. Doing email from a phone can > help a lot in these situations, or at least for > receiving email. Agreed…definitely get a personal blackberry or an e-mail enabled phone if you’re going to be doing a serious job hunt. The extra $30-40 per month you spend beyond your normal phone plan will be invaluable.

Wow, I am surprised there are so many responses. I am using personal email on a work pc, and I think I’ll be fine. It’s funny, though. I already have an email capable smart phone, but I can’t bring it into the office because it has a camera (no cameras allowed).

yeah, is anyone concerned about the fact that people here are so pre-occupied with the formatting or domain name for an email address? you’d think there’d be bigger things to worry about like our own jobs (the unemployed need not be concerned), or the fact that only one of the equity research “associates” on AF are making $260K…ha

not really. it’s a good example of a minor point people start to worry about during a job search. it’s common to overthink things during that painful process. this board is a perfect place for questions like then, even if just to be reminded to relax a bit and focus on the important stuff.

i know, i meant that in a half-joking fashion, especially w/ my comment about that other dude that was purportedly making $260K