which has easier verbal? GMAT or GRE?

GMAT math is tricky, and requires completly different skillset then the one you have been tought in your math theory classes

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hahahha, those are some funny insights. > > Is it hard to get max score on the GMAT math? I’m > pretty confident that i can get a 800 on GRE math, > taken that I do enough practice and dont make > silly mistakes. > > ahaha, are u referring that MFE = nerds and MBA = > Dbags? Im leaning towards MFE, but i dont want to > be branded as a nerd or dbag. I thot those > masters would make one look more intelligent. here’s the thing, MFE’s know they’re nerds and are ok with it. MBA’s are just as nerdy, they just don’t think they’re nerds because they read businessweek instead of Wilmott.com. The rest of us? We’re nerds too, just not as smart… To answer Joey’s question–we’re probably d-bags too, but that’s a 'whole 'nother conversation…

Can one be a d-bag if considers him/herself a d-bag?

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Can one be a d-bag if considers him/herself a > d-bag? I used to think no, until I realized that although I play the modest card and call myself a douchebag, I still get psyched up for work in the morning by watching old Ric Flair interviews on YouTube over and over again…

I am looking into MFE program as well. I think GRE is better choice since pretty much all schools accept it. I do not know if GMAT is harder or not. But I know GRE is not easy, you have to study so many words to get a good score on verbal. I actually spent a few weeks stuided for GRE after level 1 which really caused me to start very late on my level 2 preparation. I plan to continue to study GRE after level 2 exam.

hmmmm It seems like most of the MFE programs accepts GRE and NOT GMAT. For the sake of statistics and probabilities, i might go for GRE to maximize the number of schools that i can apply to. Curse the analogies and vocabs

i did a mock test of GRE. Basically, i got man handled by the verbal section. It is quite discouraging because i thought my english skills improved over the years… its SAT all over again…

These test are so provincial (def: Limited in perspective; narrow and self-centered.). I spent lots of my youth doing American crossword puzzles because I thought they were fun. It means I can do really well on SAT/GRE tests using obscure vocab that you learn doing tasks like crossword puzzles that require obscure vocab. Non-native speakers can’t possibly get that level of vocab because it would be a stupid waste of time learning a useless skill in another language. On the other hand, the math section is like early high school/middle school math. How well could these tests predict anything? They have always been really good to me. I had a National Merit Scholarship through college and a beefy fellowship in grad school, both based on those stupid tests. The reason I did well on those tests is because I always liked playing word games like crossword puzzles and competing in math contests. Good thing the world viewed those frivolous activities as genius.

I’ve never taken the GRE verbal, but I did take the GMAT verbal… For the GMAT, there’s Reading Comprehension (read a passage and answer questions), Critical Reasoning (LSAT type questions), and Sentence Correction… Reading Comprehension tests skills that are hard to learn. Those who’ve read a lot in the past will do well here, but if you suck then you suck… The other 2 can be learned and done well…

Joey, that is true but sadly ironical. See, if u do well on those idiotic tests, then you will probably end up in a better school (ie ivys) and put urself in a much better situation than someone who is handicapped with poor english skills.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: Non-native > speakers can’t possibly get that level of vocab > because it would be a stupid waste of time > learning a useless skill in another language. The median is 700 for examees in China.

cfafrank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > > Non-native > > speakers can’t possibly get that level of vocab > > because it would be a stupid waste of time > > learning a useless skill in another language. > > > The median is 700 for examees in China. I haven’t read any statistics, but I know this is wrong. Median GMAT for all test takers is ~550. Absolutely no way 700 is the median score in China.

homie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfafrank Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > > > > Non-native > > > speakers can’t possibly get that level of > vocab > > > because it would be a stupid waste of time > > > learning a useless skill in another language. > > > > > > The median is 700 for examees in China. > > > I haven’t read any statistics, but I know this is > wrong. > > Median GMAT for all test takers is ~550. > > Absolutely no way 700 is the median score in > China. I don’t believe it either. Edit: A Google search turns up the following BusinessWeek article http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/jan2006/bs2006015_2198_bs001.htm which says that the average GMAT in China is 592, except that lots of Chinese people cheat. Seems to me that there was a vituperative (def: Marked by harsh spoken or written abuse) disagreement about whether that was a racial slur on GD a few months back. I have no opinion.

I took the GMAT years ago now. I thought the GMAT was for Bus. School and the GRE was more general. When I took the GMAT it had two sections I think they’re qualitative (English) and quantitative (Math). It is definitely American-centric. I’m Canadian but I remember writing the SAT with zero prep in grade 11, I think I did well overall, not Top 10% in the Country though… Historically people do better on the Math section of the GMAT. I seem to recall getting 40, 40, 650. That is I got 40 in Math which was considered maybe in the Top Quarter of test takers, but 40 in English was easily Top 20% (maybe Top 10% I don’t remember) of test takers and somehow together they made 650ish. This was a good enough score for me, 800 is perfect. I wrote in Japan but I’m Canadian. Tuck wanted to talk to me, but I was convinced they just didn’t have enough people to meet with in Tokyo and thought I was Japanese. Where the GRE really differs from the GMAT is the essay section is kinda-optional in the GMAT. You have to write two short answers on reasoning/critical thinking. They are marked by machines and one grad student supposedly. They don’t affect the 40, 40, 650 score. They are graded on a 1 to 6 scale individually and that is sent to the schools you apply to. It was added due to rampant cheating and people memorizing certain grammer rules, question types, and what not but not actually being able to write in English. There was early feeling out trying to figure out who got the highest GMAT score in the program I chose. 650 is respectable but not good enough to get into Harvard. The guy who had the highest score in my school was rejected by Harvard which he is still bitter about, he got North of 750 or something. Anyway my GMAT claim to fame was getting a perfect score on both essays. This apparently is only accomplished by 3% of test takers which is possibly why Tuck wanted to talk to me. Of course it didn’t count towards my actual score… Anyway if you are not good at writing essay answers quickly you might want to do the GMAT as the essay doesn’t affect your numerical score it is posted seperately. It does affect your GRE score or at least that was how things were a few years back.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > These test are so provincial (def: Limited in > perspective; narrow and self-centered.). I spent > lots of my youth doing American crossword puzzles > because I thought they were fun. It means I can > do really well on SAT/GRE tests using obscure > vocab that you learn doing tasks like crossword > puzzles that require obscure vocab. Non-native > speakers can’t possibly get that level of vocab > because it would be a stupid waste of time > learning a useless skill in another language. > > On the other hand, the math section is like early > high school/middle school math. How well could > these tests predict anything? They have always > been really good to me. I had a National Merit > Scholarship through college and a beefy fellowship > in grad school, both based on those stupid tests. > The reason I did well on those tests is because I > always liked playing word games like crossword > puzzles and competing in math contests. Good > thing the world viewed those frivolous activities > as genius. Doing well on Math competitions counts for something.

I started studying for gmat several days ago. I’d say its absolutely meaningless exam. Especially the math. Questions which can be dealt with a calculator in a second is what will make me a good postgrad…wow. I have sound knowledge in math but that’s just ridiculous. 0.11/50 =? I forgot how to divide manually.