which has easier verbal? GMAT or GRE?

So im eyeing to apply for Berkeley’s MFE for 2010, and recently they started accepting both GMAT and the GRE. My verbal isn’t very good, as i have probably violated many of the english grammar as i write this. My question is, which of the 2 tests have easier verbal section? I will have to start studying for test soon and I wouldn’t want to dig myself a hole that is unnecessary. If you guys can give me some feedbacks or advices, i’d appreciate it. Thanks.

Different… Try some practice tests available at every bookstore and see how you do.

GMAT

A quick response regarding the GRE. Since it is the MFE you are applying for it is of utmost importance you score 800 for the Quant Section. For the verbal, it is sufficient to get only a “decent score”, e.g. 600ish

I registered for the gmat 3-4 days ago. What do you mean by verbal ? Speaking ?

He’s referring to the verbal reasoning section for the exam, which requires you to write a short essay, answer some questions after reading a passage, complete a sentence etc etc.

GMAT has those arcane grammar rules that everyone hates. Since nobody knows those grammar rules before studying them, you have to study for GMATs. You don’t have to study for GRE’s (GRE subject tests you have to study for a lot).

I would still have to study for GRE, since my vocabulary isn’t particularly strong. Thats the main dilemma; i will have a hard time memorizing vocabs for GRE, or have a hard time doing something totally unfamiliar in the GMAT (both math and verbal.) hmm, I might have to go to a book store and take a look at them.

Go for GMAT. You will have more margin of safety. GRE is for science or engneering program. With GMAT you can apply for B-school if MFE doesn’t work for you.

GMAT is def easier

I would agree with 800 on the Quant section. The median(that means everyone does) GRE-Q score at NYU for Math Finance is 800.

And it really sucks that those tests have an 800 limit.

but that 200 limit is nice

It’s virtually impossible to ace the GRE verbal as there is a vocab section. This on its own makes it tougher than GMAT Verbal. If you’re trying to decide between MBA and MFE, think about what you want to do (i.e. do you want to be a nerd or a D-bag?), because they’re completely different degrees and careers.

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s virtually impossible to ace the GRE verbal as > there is a vocab section. This on its own makes > it tougher than GMAT Verbal. If you’re trying to > decide between MBA and MFE, think about what you > want to do (i.e. do you want to be a nerd or a > D-bag?), because they’re completely different > degrees and careers. +1. What if you want to be a nerdy d-bag?

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s virtually impossible to ace the GRE verbal as > there is a vocab section. This on its own makes > it tougher than GMAT Verbal. If you’re trying to > decide between MBA and MFE, think about what you > want to do (i.e. do you want to be a nerd or a > D-bag?), because they’re completely different > degrees and careers. It’s also virtually impossible to ace the GMAT Verbal or even Quant section…

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ahahah Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > It’s virtually impossible to ace the GRE verbal > as > > there is a vocab section. This on its own > makes > > it tougher than GMAT Verbal. If you’re trying > to > > decide between MBA and MFE, think about what > you > > want to do (i.e. do you want to be a nerd or a > > D-bag?), because they’re completely different > > degrees and careers. > > > +1. What if you want to be a nerdy d-bag? Let’s not kid ourselves, if you frequent this website your most likely pretty nerdy. How’s life man?

are there any d-bags on this site, though?

ahahah Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > comp_sci_kid Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ahahah Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > It’s virtually impossible to ace the GRE > verbal > > as > > > there is a vocab section. This on its own > > makes > > > it tougher than GMAT Verbal. If you’re > trying > > to > > > decide between MBA and MFE, think about what > > you > > > want to do (i.e. do you want to be a nerd or > a > > > D-bag?), because they’re completely different > > > degrees and careers. > > > > > > +1. What if you want to be a nerdy d-bag? > > > Let’s not kid ourselves, if you frequent this > website your most likely pretty nerdy. How’s life > man? That is most likely true, although i aspire to be one of the Icy Hot Stunnaz one day… Life is good, making good progress on CFA L3, still have 2 essays to do for NYU Part-time. Going on vacation soon - cant wait. Hows life on AFOT :)?

hahahha, those are some funny insights. Is it hard to get max score on the GMAT math? I’m pretty confident that i can get a 800 on GRE math, taken that I do enough practice and dont make silly mistakes. ahaha, are u referring that MFE = nerds and MBA = Dbags? Im leaning towards MFE, but i dont want to be branded as a nerd or dbag. I thot those masters would make one look more intelligent.