Which MBA program

MCalamari Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > BC is the only school to consider aside from > > Harvard & MIT, if your looking to stay in the > area > > then it might be OK in the long run and if > > employers plays for PT. . > > > Agreed. In all fairness, I think Brandeis is a > pretty good school overall, just not for MBA. I’ve > known quite a few people that have sold themselves > short by restricting themselves to the Boston > area, but not get into Harvard/MIT. > > On a side note, I think BU is one of the most > overrated schools out there. Many of its programs > seem to be money drains for international students > who don’t know better aside from rankings on > paper, which are inflated in my opinion. I have a few friends that went to Brandeis, all smart kids they are now in medical school, or doing Phd in physical or social science. But its a liberal arts school and not a business school where connections and alumni network counts a ton

notenoughtheta Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I work for an independent research provider right > now, but since the Global Research Analyst > Settlement ended things have been painfully slow > and shaky, which has led my group to do some stuff > that isn’t all that interesting to make ends meet. > I’m 26 and taking L3 in June, so I am trying to > decide what to do once the CFA is done (hopefully) > this year. An MBA would be nice, but I am rather > tethered to the area, so I guess I will just need > to demolish the GMAT. Doesnt having the Charter omit you from having to take the GMAT in its entirety?

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the MSIM is pretty much useless. > > If you finished the MSIM and don’t have the CFA > people will think your one dumb retard and if you > do have the MSIM and CFA people would think you > need hand holding to learn the CFA material. > > I reasoned the best thing to do would be to finish > CFA on its own and skip any 2nd tier MBA programs. With due respect I totally do not agree to this. MSIM would eventually make your education status roll to ‘masters’ from ‘bachelors’ which is critically important for immigration/GC’s/ HSMPs/ Canadian-FSW, etc, etc… who don’t even count CFA as an education. It’s just a certificate for them. [HSMP rules changed recently though - they now consider CFA as masters equivalent and allocate all the needed points, that a masters would have gotten]

But in terms of career progression, how would the MSIM help beyond the CFA? To me, the best thing about an MBA program is access to the recruiters. That is the one drawback to the CFA program IMO. Once you’re done you’re just floating out there on your own, rather than having recruiters coming to campus in a formal recruiting season.

swaptiongamma Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think the MSIM is pretty much useless. > > > > If you finished the MSIM and don’t have the CFA > > people will think your one dumb retard and if > you > > do have the MSIM and CFA people would think you > > need hand holding to learn the CFA material. > > > > I reasoned the best thing to do would be to > finish > > CFA on its own and skip any 2nd tier MBA > programs. > > With due respect I totally do not agree to this. > MSIM would eventually make your education status > roll to ‘masters’ from ‘bachelors’ which is > critically important for immigration/GC’s/ HSMPs/ > Canadian-FSW, etc, etc… who don’t even count CFA > as an education. It’s just a certificate for > them. > > From the immigration point of view i can see the benefit. FYI - I know a friend of friend who got through the program but gave up the CFA after 3 tries of level 2, now he’s pretty much the laughing stock of our circle of friends.

Let’s be serious, you can put these schools into 2 buckets. Harvard and MIT are in a class by themselves and then everyone else on the other side of the river (BU, BC, NU) is on the same plane. An employer is not going to choose 1 job candidate over the other simply b/c one got an MSIM from BU, MSF from BC or a MBA from NU, unless of course the employer is an alumni of one of the programs. Your grades, previous work experience and what you actually took away from the programs is what will make you stand out. If you can get into any of these programs and excel, you are not going to be flipping burgers at McDonalds. It all depends on which school and program fit you best and what kind of job you want when you graduate. Anyone that tells you otherwise is just pissed they didn’t have what it took to get into a top 10 mba program and is trying to justify their grad school decision. Also, contrary to what BiPolar boy said, don’t dismiss the MSIM Program at BU. I know a handful of PMs that came out of that program, especially on the FI side. Can’t hate on the CFA either. If you want to run $ in boston, it’s almost a requirement to have, unless again ur an IVY. CFA not so important in places like NY and Chi-town.