Which schweser package to go for?

I was looking at the schweser product list for Level 3. Was wondering if anybody has done a cost/benefit of the four packages (PremiumPlus, Premium, Essential and SchweserNotes) they have on offer. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mx.

i got the premiumplus because my company is paying for it… but if they weren’t paying for it, i’d probably just do the essential and buy the secret sauce separately.

I think I am going to get the Schweser premium solution, and add on audio cds and secret sauce. Including the CFA mock exams and the enrollment fee, that puts me at about $2,000. My company is paying for it too. I hate to pass up on anything Schweser, but I am not sure if the classes offered for the PremiumPlus package would make much difference for me. Anyone know what the CFA mocks and sample exams will cost off the top of your head? I think it was about $200 total for Level II.

it was 100 for the two mocks. and the others were like 30-40 bucks each, weren’t they. not sure.

Company will pay for me too. I will go for the Notes, Q-Bank and Video’s. Videos take me through the material, notes help me go deeper and q-bank is used for retention. don’t want to think about it too much yet, though.

I do the course at NYSSA and get whatever the better (premium?) package is… Didn’t touch the LOS cards or the slide books. Or Book 7 because everyone said not to.

The videos are a must. I used them for all three levels. Make sure you watch them after you do the readings. Good Luck.

what is this 2 day mock exam and problem solving workshop? i signed up for it but have no idea.

on second thought, mcpass is right. it’s too early for this sht.

I have purchased the notes and one of the practice exam books only. Never used, or needed, the video or audio CD’s or the live classes or the flash cards, etc. Only other thing I would get is Secret Sauce if it’s part of a package or just buy it separately when it’s available. The rest is just a waste of money, in my opinion

after checking it out, i like dwight’s idea. minus the audio cd’s because they put me to sleep. don’t think the problem solving sessions would be effective for me.

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > after checking it out, i like dwight’s idea. minus > the audio cd’s because they put me to sleep. > don’t think the problem solving sessions would be > effective for me. Yeah, I used the audio CDs least of anything. But I did have to do a few long road trips on my own, and I listened to the economics and ethics CDs in my car. I could only do it for about an hour at a time tops because it puts me to sleep to. Also I had Econ and Ethics between 50% and 70%, so I guess the CDs didn’t pay off anyways ;). I don’t remember hearing anything on the CDs explaining the BOP questions at least! Got the flashcards last year and didn’t use them. Also went to John Harris’s class. Other than those 2 things my strategy for next year is pretty much the same. The video cds are surprisingly useful IMO once you figure out how to utilize them.

Man, you guys are lucky. I have to pay for everything out of pocket. I will probably go for the essential package (just like level I & II).

yup. going to downgrade to premium, add the secret sauce and use the extra money for mock tests… i used about 1/2 of the online courses for 2 and it was moderately useful. maybe better on cd’s, so i’ll probably try that. does anyone know about this 2 day mock test and problem solving thing? that sounds a bit interesting, but i probably will have enough practice tests without it. cfai just shipped my books. i’m not opening any of it til probably mid november… new driver (mizuno) comes by fedex tomorrow… we’ll get to know each other this weekend.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Man, you guys are lucky. I have to pay for > everything out of pocket. I will probably go for > the essential package (just like level I & II). mwvt all you probably need is a highlighter, a calculator and some sunflower seeds to pass this thing. that was impressive work back at level 2, man. i probably spent double the time you did…

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt all you probably need is a highlighter, a > calculator and some sunflower seeds to pass this > thing. that was impressive work back at level 2, > man. i probably spent double the time you did… I am a highlighting fiend, but I would also need copious amount of diet coke and cold showers. No joke, because I had to cram so much for L2 I would study for about 2 hours when the kids went to bed and when I started to dose off I would jump in an ICE COLD shower. I would actually scream when the water hit. My wife thought it was great. It bought me about another 2-3 hours each night. I remember posting quite a bit with you when it was about midnight your time. You were always the last person on AF at night (and dinesh). I would never prepare for another exam like that if I had it my way.

we’ll inevitably be doing that again in a few months my friend, enjoy your time off… i will soon.

Thanks for all the inputs. My company pays for the registration fees for the exam. I’m going to try and explore if i can squeeze out study material costs as well. If that happens I would go for the Premium Solution + Secret Sauce. Else would have to make do with the Essential package.

I’m more curious what the Schweser blurb is going to be this year, the course is almost exactly the same as last year but they’ll still want to make last year’s schweser books seem irrevelant and this year’s mandatory for passing. “Studying from new material has never been more important, the playing field has been leveled, those CFA muthas CHANGED THE ORDER OF THE LOS’s!” “The one new reading is what this exam is all about!” Whatever they put out it will likely be a marketing miracle, much as I hate marketing… Anyone in the Dublin, Ireland area want my premium package from last year?