Which topics is it possible to fail and still pass....

…in Lvl II guys? I need to prioritise due to lack of time and may need to gamble on being less thorough on 2 of the following: Econ Quant Methods Corp Finance Port M’ment Wondering if Lvl IIIers can post which topics they failed on last yr but still made it through to Lvl III. A few people have mentioned on other threads that Quant Methods and Port M’ment scores are looked at for borderline candidates (much like the rumour goes for Ethics on Lvl I)…

anyone with some insight?

Last year FSA and Equities was somewhere around 60% of the exam. Ace those and you could fail two of the other sections so long as you do mid level at worst on the rest. There were even a couple that failed ethics and made it through.

I am not sure I could pass the quicksheet at this point : (

I failed Ethics and Quant in L2 and passed, but I did well on the other sections.

everyone talks about Ethics being the make or break topic for borderline candidates so I would never risk going in unprepared on that. we have been unfortunate enough this yr to have been given quite a few new topics from Lvl III and a few from Lvl I also got bumped up into our syllabus so it’s a real stretch to cover everything properly. at moment, looking to wing it econ (5-10% weighting) and quant methods (5-10%). I’m concerned they will crush us in PM to get us ready for next yr. hope all you guys are on course!

i failed 5 item sets last year and still passed. nail FSA and equity and you might make it.

Failed ethics and PM last year… aced pretty much everything else

FXjunkie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A few people have mentioned on other threads > that Quant Methods and Port M’ment scores are > looked at for borderline candidates (much like the > rumour goes for Ethics on Lvl I)… Don’t pay much attention to this. Considering Ethics score in borderline cases is a fact…supported by CFAI. I read it somewhere(on their website…I think). Everything else you hear(Quant and PM) is straight out of peoples a$$es. I’ll agree that you can ignore a few sections, but you have to completely ace the others. I took a few chances on FSA with both L1 and L2(only because I found it extremely boring), but only after making sure I was strong on others(Quant, Equity, FI and Derivatives).

At this point, 2 days of studying won’t allow you to pass or fail too well, so give it a break.

For L2: The core topics are FSA, Equity, and CF. Then you should either have a good grasp of FI or PM. Know the easier Derivatives stuff, but don’t freak out if you can’t do all of it; for derivatives, the benefit/cost of studying it all isn’t worth it… just go for the low hanging fruit. I don’t think Ethics is all that difficult, and it’s a substantial portion of the exam. It’s tough if you are expecting 100% on the section, but most of the points aren’t too difficult if you practice enough problems to stamp out the areas you’re weak on. So you can pick up almost 15% of the exam just by getting Ethics down. If you’re great on ethics, that means you only need 55% on the rest of the exam. Can you get above 55%? I’ll bet if you know FSA, Equity, and CF reasonably well, you can do that. Know them even better, and you can afford to miss some ethics too.

1. do a search in the L2 forum for last year around august and you can see people’s scores 2. do the math. some SS are worth more than others. it’s that simple.

appreciate all the feedback guys…going on FSA/equities/ethics rampage for next 30hrs of studying I can extract from final 2 days!

Too bad L3 is 15% Ethics and 85% PM. Much harder to figure it out like that. But Ethics is still a bargain.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Too bad L3 is 15% Ethics and 85% PM. 10% Ethics

This was good advice. Know the easier Derivatives stuff, but don’t freak out if you can’t do all of it; for derivatives, the benefit/cost of studying it all isn’t worth it… just go for the low hanging fruit. I passed L2 with only 12 days of studying and that’s precisely what I did. That’s the beauty of MC.

Shucks, man, I was sure that it was 15%, but there it is, you’re right.