Whisky? All kinds welcome.

Ditto on the Pappy. I stop in every liquor store I pass and so far ony one could confirm they even sold it. I’m on a waiting list, but apparently there are three cases worth claimed ahead of me and they have no idea if/when they will even get the next case, let alone then next three. I’m a scotch man, but have been exploring bourbon of late and am dying to try this.

I understood three words of this conversation.

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll diversify my holdings while maitaining a concentration in peaty flavors. I did pour myself a stiff one of Uigeadail on sunday for research purposes, and it definitely has some strong spice notes which I like. Good stuff

Thanks S2000, gringobob, I’ll take a look. I’ve heard good things about Bowmore and Laphroaig as well as Lagavulin. These bottles get pretty expensive fast! Got lots of reading to do, to say the least.

What are your thoughts on Highland Park and Glenfiddich? Are those good options in those price ranges or can I do better?

Anyone else find Laphroaig to have a little bit of medicine-ish taste? I get that it is a smokey flavor as well, but I found that after more than a glass it tasted more like medicine…

I, for one, cannot stand Glenfiddich.

(And I know a couple of equestriennes from Aberdeen – fans of Tormore, a Speyside single-malt (as is Macallan) – who agree with me.)

I’ve been tearing into a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked tonight. I highly recommend it. It’s not really helping this evening, but it sure tastes good.

I’m with you on this one, Glenfiddich isn’t my favourite drop.

Highland Park 12 is a solid peatyish whisky. Another good drop in the price range is Jura. Both Origin and Superstition are really good whiskies. They don’t seem to do well internationally as their branding is less ‘wee scottish distillery’ and more ‘prince album in the 80s’

Had a good laugh at that last bit.

You don’t need to keep it in the single malt stable. If you are really keen on the smoke/peat, take a look at Smokehead and Peat Monster - they are as their names imply.

I am a single malt man generally, but waking up to the blended world more recently. If you are ever in London let me know and I’ll take you to a dive bar in Soho that has everything…

I need to get into whisky more, my father and I went to a tasting session whilst in Gleneagles last summer and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We are both whisky noobs so it was very enlightening experiencing the different flavours and scents. The only whisky I remember is Glengoyne, it had a horrible (but unique) taste of iodine and seaweed due to the distellery being in on a small scottish island.

Anyone ever been to Whiskyfest in NYC? Every year I contemplate taking my father, but it’s on a weekday (wednesday this year, Oct 29) and I don’t know if its worth taking the next day off work.

The drive up to the Woodford Reserve distillery goes through a horse farm that was one of the most beautiful drives I’ve ever had. The sun hit the hills just right.

When we got to the main office, we were a bit early for the tour. Unfortunately, they didn’t give us our samples early. However, they were more than happy to fill us up with bourbon balls - thos bourbon makers love their bourbon balls.

Ended up with a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask, good recommendation, I’m enjoying it.

J and B on da rocks. drank a fifth of it last week, lol

Good to hear.

good choice, all this whisky chat keeps making me want to open a bottle. mid week whisky is not a good idea for me though.

Mid week whisky is always a good idea.

If you think that mid-week whisky is a poor idea, might I suggest that you’re not starting your week on the correct day?