Whisky? All kinds welcome.

Do it, in moderation. Have you guys checked out Ralfy.com? His youtube reviews are quite entertaining and engaging.

I was expecting something very wacky tasting from Laphroaig, but no review prepared my nose and tongue for that. I would never have imagined such a flavour to be possible

I stumbled across Laphroaig.

I’d just started drinking Scotch (see earlier post) and was in my local grocery store (yes: a grocery store) when I saw a bottle of Laphroaig. “What the heck?” I thought.

I was pleasantly surprised. As a big fan of Lapsang Souchong, I love the smoky/peaty taste, so it was love at first sip.

A Scotsman (a Glaswegian) for whom I later worked told me that if I liked Laphroaig, I’d love Lagavulin. He put his money where his mouth was when, on a Christmas party bar hopping he bought me a shot of same: he was spot on.

My wife and I have a dear friend who breeds Morgan horses; we visited her 1½ years ago, when she had just gotten a bottle of Glenmorangie as a gift. (Note: good stuff.) I bought her a bottle of Lagavulin, and it’s now her favorite Scotch.

I have problems with moderation…

Actually asked my friend on his way back from the states to pick up a bottle of Lagavulin for me at duty free. Whisky is expensive here. I think it’s 115$CAD for 750mL 12years? What kinda prices do you guys pay?

Being the simple Simon that I am, I just stick with Maker’s Mark and Crown. I’m sure there are other “premiums” out there, but I drink so rarely that it’s not worth it to search for them.

I fixed your statement for you.

Aint that the truth. KrazyK, were you in Alberta pre-texas? Though from what I hear that’s not much of a change in scenery.

Bowmore 12 is about £30, Laphroaig 10 is maybe £38. you can pick up a bottle of Jura for under £30

You get good deals every so often at supermarkets as well.

Picked up a Glenlivet 15 yr at duty free last weekend for $62! They had all sorts of other single malts too!

Just bought the laphroaig, is the quarter cask that much better than the 10 year? I bought it somewhat on a whim as I noticed it was on offer for £29 and remembered you guys mentioning it. After some googling though seems like most agree the QC is the best.

yeah I heard the QC is the better of the two I picked up the 10 yo first but thought better of it and went for the QC. Was also cheaper :S.

I’ve been enjoying it this past week. Delicious neat, and can take a drop or two of water too.

i wish nana could send me some -_- :slight_smile: T_T

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/04/suntory-time-japanese-whisky-named-worlds-best-in-sour-dram-for-scotland

You Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman of impeccable taste.

However, I love Jack Daniels. Sorry for being so pedestrian but I am more into sweet alcohols like cognac and rhum.

stock up BSDs

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/04/luxury/global-single-malt-scotch-whisky-drought/index.html

What’s on the shelf malt friends?

Currently open:

• Balvenie Double Wood

• Springbank 12

• Laphroaig Quarter Cask - a stalwart

To buy:

The Glendronach Cask Strength

^

Ardbeg 10

Grangestone Master’s Selection Double Cask Matured (finished in bourbon)

Laphroaig 18

Lagavulin 16

Oban 14

Glenmorangie 10

Makers 46

Green Spot Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey

Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel

Pretty much all that I can rememebr off the top of my head.

open at the moment:

Balvenie double wood - won’t last long

Talisker 10 - from 1 of many Burns Suppers, goes with haggis well but not my favourite drop

Talisker Storm - had it open for ages and I really don’t like it, keep going back for another go but it’s just not happening.

To be opened:

Bowmore 18 - waiting for a good reason to open this one

Old Pultney - great if you like a quality Speyside. Also great little bit of useless knowledge - it’s from Scotland’s most northern distillery.

at the risk of sounding like S2000, Highland Park in Orkney is Scotland’s most northerly whisky distillery. There’s also a reopened distillery in Thurso called Wolf Burn which is now the most notherly on the mainland. I’m looking forward to trying their whisky.

Gringo, have you tried the Talisker with a drop of water? Haven’t had that malt but sometimes it helps change things around.

Been trying to get my hands on a bottle of Old Pultney but the liquor board hasn’t brought it in yet

Anyone dabble in cognac?