Whisky

real men drink vodka

Just returned from a trip to the UK, including a few days in Scotland, so decided to revive this thread. Iā€™m not really a whisky guy but had a tour of the Glenkinchie distillery that included a tasting at the end. I didnā€™t care for the Glenkinchie 12 or their Distillerā€™s Edition, but found Caol Ila to be nice and the Lagavulin 16 was really nice. Although Iā€™m sure this is old news to whisky drinkers, I was surprised to learn that single malt only means that all the whisky in the bottle came from the same distillery and is at least as mature as stated on the bottle. I had always assumed that single malt meant it all came from the same ā€œbatchā€. Also learned that blends are single malts from multiple distilleries mixed with grain whisky. Although he wouldnā€™t say so specifically, the chap giving the tour made it pretty clear that JW is a blend of most of distilleries owned by Diageo, including Caol Ila, Oban, Talisker, Lagavulin, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, and Cragganmore.

Nice one, Iā€™ve never tried Glenkinchie.

What did you think of Scotland?

^ Most of the trip was in England, but the few days in Scotland were very nice, albeit quite hot. Edinburgh was our ā€œhome baseā€ whilst in Scotland, so we were basically just in that region. As a golfer, my personal highlight was a few hours in St. Andrews, including a walk across the 1st and 18th fairways of the Old Course. Would have loved to have actually teed it up, but that wasnā€™t in the time budget. Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument were also nice.

I didnā€™t get the sense that youā€™re missing much not having tried Glenkinchie. My BIL is a whisky guy and didnā€™t think much of it. 92% of their production ends up in blends and they donā€™t even malt their own barley anymore. It was neat to see the rest of the process though. Iā€™ve toured breweries before, but never a distillery.

Iā€™ve actually never hear of Glenkinchie and the area isnā€™t known for whisky so it sounds like it might be a place thatā€™s trying to get the tourist trade of visitors that want a day trip from Edinburgh

I grew up for a few years in St Andrews but fecking hate golf

Glad you had a good time and it sounds like you got lucky with the weather, itā€™s never hot!

My go-to is a Glenlivet 12 or 15. Sometimes use soapstones to chill

only seen a Glenkinchie from a Ralfy whisky review. Probably will never try it.

Glendronach Cask Strength: S2000 , you manage to try this yet?

Black Label is a very nice blend to default to in the absence of good quality single malts. Iā€™d rather have that than the Livet or Fiddich and in the absence of a proper single malt cabinet.

Iā€™m headed to London next week. Any bottles there that are harder to find here?

Wow. what a vivid description. Vicariously intoxicated.

The above was in the conext of the post by KMeriwetherD

Dec 14th, 2015 3:32pm

• United States
  • CFA Passed Level I
  • 1,025 AF Points

Not yet.

Iā€™ll probably order it this week. After my accident, I think Iā€™ve earned it.

Its that time of year again to load up on whisky and fire up the yule log. Buddy came back to visit from Japan last week and brought me a Nikka 12 http://www.nikka.com/eng/products/index.html. Must say they make some fine Whisky over there.

good topic. I made it a point to try some Japanese ā€œscotchā€ last time I was out. I want to get something to add to my collection as well. I tried these twoā€¦

Suntory Hibiki 12 year and one of the Nikka Pure Malts. I enjoyed them both. The first reminded me of Glenmorangie with a light highland tone to it. Nikka was more earthy and very dry (just how I like it!)

Iā€™m going out tonight so maybe I will get to review a 3rd one. Any recommendations?

^ if you like the suntory whiskies you should try some Yamazaki and Hakushu if you have not already, you wonā€™t be disappointed. I would like to try some Old Pulteney. It has great reviews. I think that will be next on my buy list.

Got a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 recently but havenā€™t opened it yet. Also JW Green Label is back in North America, apparently one of the finest reasonably priced blends you can get. Picked up a bottle as well for the holidays.

Black velvet straight from the bottle.

Well, I finally got two seconds to rub together, went there to order it, and found that itā€™s out of stock.

Sigh.

Theyā€™ll let me know if they get some in.

In the meantime, I ordered a bottle of Glenburgie cask strength, and yesterday I picked up a bottle of Balvenie 14, which Iā€™d never tried before.

I like the Balvenie.

The Glengurgie arrove today.

In a nutshell: good stuff.

itā€™s 3pm on the west coast, brah. I like the way your day is developing at this stage :wink:

We could have an earthquake at 4:00pm. If I didnā€™t try it before that, where would I be?