Who already tried the CFAI Mock 2012?

I just gave the mock a shot and was quite blown away, got a 60.8 percent. Feeling quite discouraged but was wondering if you felt the same way

1. the vignette is waayyy longer than schweser’s

2. Tested much more than I thought on the less-than-core topics

For those re-takers, how does the mock compare to the real thing?

I took the mock too and it didnt as well as i’d have liked it to.

I felt that some of the vignettes were too wordly, a fair bit of reading comprehension was required.

But I wouldnt say that much of it was from non core topics , although there were a lot of tricky questions

Can retakers Chime in??

i’m a re-taker and i think the real one is usually quite DIFFERENT than the mock. i dunno, that’s just my impression of it. so i wouldn’t care too much about your mock exam score. the thing to bare in mind tho is that the vignette in the real exam does get a bit wordy. also, they do test some really “non-core” concepts. CFAI is known to ask some really left-field stuff, so be prepared for them to ask you just about ANYTHING that’s in the cirriculum… and often times, it ain’t even in the schweser books.

i felt that the 2012 mock was a bit tough too. didn’t score anywhere close to where i scored for my schweser practice exams. will try to study on those “weird” topics more.

Hmmm…that has me a little worried… Oive been prepping exclusively with schwerer and the CFAI EOCs.

How did you find the time constraints on the real exam last year?

i’m assuming that you’re asking me (or any re-takers), and the answer to your question regarding time constraints was that, i totally ran out of time. which was NOT cool. you wanna be as quick as you can with those questions. if you don’t know it, skip it, come back to it. remember that.

i did. it’s tough!

I found Morning session alright. But afternoon was one hell of a beast!

What is the score people are getting in the mock and practice exam?

Re-taker here: I only took the AM session so far and compared to the actual exam, the AM session was somewhat easier than expected. Maybe PM mock is the killer…

I’m scared to take the mock… some EOC questions sets were brutal, in that the entire question set didn’t seem to be directly testing any LOS, or there would be a huge quantity of data and various ways to come to a different, yet correct imo, answer. Or the question would just be really unclear.

I don’t mind challenging questions, as long as they’re actually training me to do well on the actual exam. Otherwise I feel like my time is being wasted, or that I’m getting freaked out for no reason.

Ice 6006 do u remember any questions from 2011?

Or anyone else?

I noticed they put an especially large number of trick questions in the FRA section. You really got to have deep knowledge of FRA it seems, and it has a high weight on the exam. Whereas for economics, alternative investments, corporate finance, and such they ask very basic sorts of questions with no tricks pulled, like “lolz wat iz snesitivity analysis?”.

The ethics questions aren’t nearly as bad as in level 1. It seems to merely be a matter of remembering in great detail all the standards, especially the soft dollar, prudent man, and research standards.

Equity seems to be simply a matter of remembering all those formulas, which is a good thing. I hope they ask a bunch of questions on how to calculate FCFE and whatever.

Equity seems to be simply a matter of remembering all those formulas, which is a good thing. I hope they ask a bunch of questions on how to calculate FCFE and whatever.

strongly agree! lol

Yeah, the hardest part of equity for me is reading comprehension… I find it hard to pick out relevant information, Any tips guys?

genome, is this a trick question? lol.

geezie, would you prefer that they give you tricky questions for the entire exam? i’m happy to see those sensitivity type questions, along with stuff like what’s R^2 and F test, and maybe also calculating the cap rate.

Well , I dont buy the idea that except FRA others are straight forward in the exam , last year they did ask tricky stuffs such as triangular arb , treynor black and as ice6006 mentioned CFAI has the knack of pulling some really really ambigous stuff in the exam as far as I have seen there are very few straight forward questions and “you have to earn every single mark” , and about equity , its very untrue that formulas are being thrown but lots and lots of qualitative questions were asked such as porters strategy combined with industry analysis and lots of numbers were given to interpret qualitatively ( competetive advantage , pricing power etc ) which can get extremely tricky

Well , I dont buy the idea that except FRA others are straight forward in the exam , last year they did ask tricky stuffs such as triangular arb , treynor black and as ice6006 mentioned CFAI has the knack of pulling some really really ambigous stuff in the exam as far as I have seen there are very few straight forward questions and “you have to earn every single mark” , and about equity , its very untrue that formulas are being thrown but lots and lots of qualitative questions were asked such as porters strategy combined with industry analysis and lots of numbers were given to interpret qualitatively ( competetive advantage , pricing power etc ) which can get extremely tricky

wtfbbq, CFAI, y u make mock so hard? I got 72% AM section. If the actual exam is this hard, I think they’ll have a 10% pass rate, tops. If it wasn’t for this forum telling me how much harder this mock is than the actual exam, I’d be flipping out. The only easy part was that they didn’t include a sample bubble sheet, which gave me an extra 10-15 min cuz I didn’t have to bubble my answers in.