who can fire the CEO

Is it the board that can fire the CEO or does it require some kind of vote?

Unless the board consists of one person, the board needs to vote. Shareholder meetings don’t determine the CEO directly, unless for some reason the board puts it on the agenda as a specific item to be voted on (which I don’t think ever happens).

can the ceo vote during the board meeting if he’s the chairman?

That depends on the bylaws of the corporation. Some bylaws exclude the CEO from voting on certain issues, such as executive pay packages, external evaluation, etc… Others figure that the CEO’s voice will be drowned out by other voices if the issues are serious enough, so they don’t bother to restrict.

what is the difference between a chairman and a regular director on the BOD?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_directors

Chairmen/women are generally considered “first among equals,” which basically means that their authority is not formally greater or less than any other director. However, chairs do have de-facto powers that make them more influential than an ordinary director. For example: they generally have control over the agenda and process by which issues get discussed. So, for instance, they can make stuff that they don’t really want to deal with show up at the end of the meeting, when most people are eager to go and are thus more amendable to bargaining just to get things over with. Also chairmen/women tend to be better informed than ordinary directors, because they tend to be “in the loop” on almost all things going on in committees underneath them.

thanks bchadwick. that was exactly what i was looking for.

I fire CEO’s in my spare time

and I help them get their huge severances. But hey, it pays my bills until I get into asset management.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I fire CEO’s in my spare time There’s your answer, only Numi, MotU (Master of the Universe) can fire CEOs

lol

kevin0118 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I fire CEO’s in my spare time > > > There’s your answer, only Numi, MotU (Master of > the Universe) can fire CEOs Motu means fatass in my language. I suppose if you’re a big enough motu you could fit the description of your definition.