Who gets the most value from CFA?

Hey everyone- I am pretty new to this site. I have a question regarding the CFA and credit analysis. I did search the forums for information but didn’t find what I was looking for. Anyway couple questions, my first question is how much value would a CFA level 1 (and hopefully levels 2 and 3) be for a credit analyst at a commercial bank? I have worked as a credit analyst at a commercial bank for 6 month and am looking to add a certification to my arsenal. From what I understand the CFA is more geared towards analylst who analyze financial markets and not necessarily commercial banking.

1. If the CFA doesn’t pertain to the majority of my job than would their be enough value coming from showing my bosses that I am very committed to my job?

2. How much would a CFA level 1 certification improve my chances at moving up quicker?

I really appreciate any replies that regard the value added from a CFA level I for a commerical bank analyst. Thanks!

CFA Institute does.

1. honestly, not much at all.

2. no, and to be realistic, your boss may think you’re trying to quit and move on 3. L1 is worth squat these days.

Ok, thanks for the response itera.

I don’t necessarily agree that the CFA is only marginally helpful to investment professionals from a career development standpoint. I work in structured/leveraged finance and I think the materials are quite useful especially the FRA, Equity, Fixed Income and alternative investments books. I keep a copy of the Level 2 books on my desk as a reference.

So whilst the charter may not magically open doors for you by learning the materials, further investigation and application of concepts to your day-to-day work, you will have probably become a better investment professional. But that is you growing primarily through your own diligence and intuition and building a track record. The obtainment of the charter being incidental to that process. It is not a certification of your investment skill. Your achievements in your job are.

Hi Freshgrad, I tend to agree with takanori.

I myself have worked 17 years in corporate banking (commercial-retail, structured finance, investment banking - coverage). Been credit analyst too for years in the beginning (and using the “output” of credit analysts afterwards). Althoung I’m still studying for LII, I do find several areas useful, complementary, explanatory to what I have learned through the job (apart from a lot of totally new parts - in my case).

Though I’m from Eurpoe (and returning again soon), where the Charter is much less popular or known, I see quite a few banking professionals having it or studying for it because there is no adequate “general corporate banking” type of designation (and many think MBA is worth only if it’s top league).

So why not?

I think you guys misunderstood some, no one doubting the material you learn can be useful to any finance type of career. more knowledge is better than less knowledge. all people need to keep in mind of is that passing CFA exams will not suddenly open big doors.

The Institute gets the most value from you taking the exam.