Who makes a good business partner?

I pose this question to you. What characteristics and values do you look for in a business partner?

(1) Dependable (2) Trustworthy (3) Motivated (4) Knowledgeable Not necessarily in that order.

Agree with the above, but I’d also look for someone who is strong where I am weak.

(5) Money.

dlpicket Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Agree with the above, but I’d also look for > someone who is strong where I am weak. I agree. In addition to someone who is strong when I am weak, I look for someone who can be my voice when I can’t speak. He/she needs to be my eyes when I can’t see and see the best there is in me.

Trustworthy (this is first and foremost) Strong work ethic Complimentary skills and knowledge Smart, educated, credentialed Easy to get along with Well connected Rich!

Also, going into business with family & friends is risky. It can be done but if it goes pear shaped the relationship can become significantly strained. Its easier to say adios to a guy you’ve only known through the office than your brother or sister.

juventurd Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > (5) Money. +1 a partner with a deep pocket is the key, so you can take as much risk as you can without thinking about the downside aka BK.

soddy1979 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Also, going into business with family & friends is > risky. It can be done but if it goes pear shaped > the relationship can become significantly > strained. > > Its easier to say adios to a guy you’ve only known > through the office than your brother or sister. +1 I was wondering when someone was going to bring up that point. I’d say he/she can’t be a family member or friend.

Thank you for your answers. The reason why I posed the question is because a friend has posited the idea of forming a partnership. However, I am reluctant to follow through with the proposal since we both have the same educational background and he is more competitive with me than complementary to my skills. Admittedly, I am competitive with him as well, so I guess it is fueled on both sides. I have begun to discover that multidisciplinary teams are essential to tackling problems. In addition, after reading more about Buffett and Munger’s relationship, I can sense a strong camaraderie that is really rare in the business world - the ideal working relationship. In the past, they’ve vehemently disagreed on a few investment ideas, but both have resisted the ‘ad hominem’ tendency. The reason, in my opinion, lies in both Buffett and Munger’s ability to be selfless and give credit to the other partner without having any hint of envy. Buffett thinks Munger is the smartest person he’s ever met, and vice versa.

Business acumen Creativity Industry experience/expert Complementary skill set

A corollary to complimentary skill set should require that the complimentary skills be necessary to achieve success. NASCAR vehicles only carry 1 person, but you don’t see any teams adding a minivan to their lineup. @Walrus: Did I inadvertently quote a song or something? Its not coming to mind what you mean.

^assuming it was celine dion’s b/c you loved me …

Yeah, it was Celine Dion. I was a bit worried that no one would get it and you’d all think I was a weird creepy person.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you’d all think I was a > weird creepy person. never … lol

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dlpicket Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Agree with the above, but I’d also look for > > someone who is strong where I am weak. > > > I agree. In addition to someone who is strong when > I am weak, I look for someone who can be my voice > when I can’t speak. He/she needs to be my eyes > when I can’t see and see the best there is in me. +1 Excellently done but -1 for getting it stuck in my head

Hi, TheAliMan: We are planning to start an investment research business, and we could cooperate with your partnership in some way. Our team has on the board several people: a financial engineer, a CFA program graduate, a Certified Management Accountant (CMA), and an experienced tax adviser. All guys have related industry experience. Which contry are you from? We are from Toronto, Canada. Please email us directly at: InvestmentAnalysis2008 (at) gmail.com Good Luck.