Who used the Elan Guides?

if all potential CFA candidates visit AF and adhere to the advices, I am pretty sure we will have an example of monopoly…

I used Elan 11th Hour and Elan Mocks. Better than Schweser Secret Sauce/Mocks, but I did use Schweser Notes and QBank. IMO Schweser does a pretty mediocre job, but sufficient to pass and be useful.

I’m currently using Elan as well for next June’s exam. I like 'em, I think it’s good value for the price, although they could work on their tardiness a bit.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to go ahead and order the Elan Guides, but don’t know whether it makes more sense to get the digital only, hard copy only, or both. Anyone have any experience with the digital or both that they could share?

desaiguy, I guess it’s your personal choice and level of convenience with soft vs hard copies. If you are used to reading books instead of reading them online, you may want to go for hard copies (and vice versa). They charge $40 USD extra for shipping, though. I ordered hard copies as I prefer to highlight main points, and make notes as I read - expecting them this week. I will know of the print quality once I get the guides. Will let you guys know. Also, they only offer the guides and 11th hour in hard copies - not their question bank or the mocks (at least not yet).

The print quality is fine, it’s a matter of having the physical books or not, so I don’t know what the difficult decision is. I went with the ultimate prep months ago so I got the books mailed to me when they were published, meanwhile watching the vids and reading the study notes.

One of the problems with the print version is that there is no glossary. At least, there was none in the 2010 books. With the digital copy, you can search for topics very easily with ctrl-F.

There’s no glossary in the print version of Elan study guides in the 2011 versions, either. I sent them a note about it - hopefully they will add it in future versions.

I got both. I like to highlight and take notes as that’s the way I’ve always studied so it was between getting the printed or both for me. I went for both in the end because I have an I-pad and I thought I could get some reading out of the way on the commute… hasn’t happened yet though.

Dear fellow candidates, I am registered to sit for the Level I exam this June. I have been studying from the CFA Program curriculum for over 2 months now and I feel totally lost. The sheer quantity is so overwhelming that I have decided to go for a prep provider. After doing some research and reading past candidates’ opinions on this site, I am leaning towards going with Elan, but I have this question at the back of my head that I hope past/present Elan users can assist me with. If you study their books and and watch all their videos properly do you still need to go through the curriculum? Is it a worthwhile investment then? In how much depth do they actually cover the required body of knowledge? Thanks in advance.

allegro-cpa/cfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What did you guys think of the Elan mock exams? > Those who used them. I’m using Schweser mocks, > but seems like maybe Elan could be better prep. > I’ve compared the schweser and elan questions and > they are much different in my opinion in > style/format. > > Econ for example: (Elan) > > Consider the following statements: > > Statement 1: The MRP of labor for a firm that is a > price taker remains constant at all > output levels. > Statement 2: The MRP of labor for a firm that is a > price searcher rises as it expands > output. > > Which of the following is most likely? > > A. Both statements are correct > B. Both statements are incorrect > C. Only Statement 1 is correct. > > Answer: C > > > I have not seen any schweser ones like this. I’ve > yet to take the actual exam so I have no idea if > this format could come up. Both volumes 1 and 2 of the Schweser mocks have questions in this format from what I saw as did the online questions.

> > > > Consider the following statements: > > > > Statement 1: The MRP of labor for a firm that is > a > > price taker remains constant at all > > output levels. > > Statement 2: The MRP of labor for a firm that is > a > > price searcher rises as it expands > > output. > > > > Which of the following is most likely? > > > > A. Both statements are correct > > B. Both statements are incorrect > > C. Only Statement 1 is correct. > > > > Answer: C > > The answer to this is B. That’s what their answer key also said.

I’m glad someone else noticed that too. The answer is actually b. Ditto guerrilla marketing by Elan.

JonnyKay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dear fellow candidates, > > I am registered to sit for the Level I exam this > June. I have been studying from the CFA Program > curriculum for over 2 months now and I feel > totally lost. The sheer quantity is so > overwhelming that I have decided to go for a prep > provider. After doing some research and reading > past candidates’ opinions on this site, I am > leaning towards going with Elan, but I have this > question at the back of my head that I hope > past/present Elan users can assist me with. > > If you study their books and and watch all their > videos properly do you still need to go through > the curriculum? Is it a worthwhile investment > then? In how much depth do they actually cover the > required body of knowledge? > > Thanks in advance. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed as well; and ordered the Elan package. I do not use the CFAI text much anymore, except for occasional clarification. I turns 50-60 pages in the CFAI textbooks into a 15 page summary that really lets you focus on the LOS and main ideas of the readings. After reading those 15 pages for an hour, I am consistently getting 85% or higher on the Elan practice questions as well as the CFAI EOC questions. I would suggest following through with getting Elan. Huge time saver.

Anyone tried the Elan’s Audio Book? Any review on this?

I’m also interested in these. Any thoughts people? The Simz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone tried the Elan’s Audio Book? Any review on > this?

I really don’t see the point of Audio books. I tried listening for a bit but they just didn’t do it for me. Rest of their stuff was good though.

Does anyone use Stalla anymore? I only heard a few people ever talk about them but they all had great things to say.

I’ve found the audios useful so far on the commute. I’ve only used them for ethics though. Not bothering them for econ.

I’ll answer my own questions now that I’m through LI JonnyKay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dear fellow candidates, > > I am registered to sit for the Level I exam this > June. I have been studying from the CFA Program > curriculum for over 2 months now and I feel > totally lost. The sheer quantity is so > overwhelming that I have decided to go for a prep > provider. After doing some research and reading > past candidates’ opinions on this site, I am > leaning towards going with Elan, but I have this > question at the back of my head that I hope > past/present Elan users can assist me with. > > If you study their books and and watch all their > videos properly do you still need to go through > the curriculum? Nope, but do the CFA EOC questions. Repeating them at the end is a good idea. Is it a worthwhile investment > then? In how much depth do they actually cover the > required body of knowledge? > Definitely worth it. Saved a bucketload of money and the products are great. Thanks for the push Jarobi04. I hope you passed as well. @aapl: I’m sure people use Stalla as well. I read good reviews on them too but they were really expensive. Use the search function.