Who's doing the BSAS exam?

Any history on this from anyone? Historically close to the real thing? Easier, harder?

I just got my BSAS practice exam in the mail. I’m planning on taking it in the next week. I’ll try and tell you when I’m through how I feel it compares to the real thing.

By the way, anyone out there have the link or can direct me to the link to the inevitable BSAS exam ERRATA page? Ideally I want to make the corrections to the exam before I take it. Many thanks in advance.

WHATS BSAS???

it’s the Boston Society test. i haven’t done level III yet, but level I was fanstastic (probably the best mock test i took), and level II was horrible.

http://www.bsas.org/pe/S08PEaddendum.pdf funny that they call it Addendum instead of Errata… dumb

Thanks Iwona for the addendum. Got my copy of the exam in the mail the other day. Plan to work through it this weekend. Anyone here done it already? Anyone think it’s a good proxy?

i thought about it for a while but in the end i am just sticking with all of schweser and all of the CFAI exams…( my work would have paid for the BSAS too )

I did that last week and scored 67 in AM and 60 in PM. I did some silly mistakes else scores would be different. Close to real deal. Edit: Wrong forum. I am l2 candidate

cfaboston28 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did that last week and scored 67 in AM and 60 in > PM. I did some silly mistakes else scores would be > different. > > Close to real deal. > > Edit: Wrong forum. I am l2 candidate FYI: I took the Level II BSAS exam both in 05 and 06 and both times it was far harder than the actual exam. particurally last year when it had about 50 translations that the cfai would never ask for.

Thanks Iwona pass for the Addendum which I would call the Errata. I’m contemplating when to take the BSAS practice exam but the ease of Schweser’s practice exams in the afternoon automatically correcting them for me and the ability to compare my results to others and see in what topics I am lower than average is swaying me slightly towards Schweser practice exams which I took first one today. On the other hand the BSAS is based on and refers to the CFAI actual study notes which I actually have on hand this year and so somehow I feel I gotta squeeze that practice test in too. So many practice exams. So little time!

My 2c. This year Level 3 BSAS morning session is terribly constructed. I wasn’t even sure if they know how CFAI allocates points. For example, a 5 minute question, they are you to explain CPPI, Constant mix and Buy and Hold in Up trending, down trending and no trending market. That itself will be more than 5 marks. Overall, it feels like a memory exercise e.g. definition testing than anything I was looking for.

oskigo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it’s the Boston Society test. > > i haven’t done level III yet, but level I was > fanstastic (probably the best mock test i took), > and level II was horrible. I am thinking of buying the BSAS for level 1… Would you say it was easier or harder than the actual? Thanks…

takumi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My 2c. > > This year Level 3 BSAS morning session is terribly > constructed. I wasn’t even sure if they know how > CFAI allocates points. > > For example, a 5 minute question, they are you to > explain CPPI, Constant mix and Buy and Hold in Up > trending, down trending and no trending market. > > That itself will be more than 5 marks. > > Overall, it feels like a memory exercise e.g. > definition testing than anything I was looking > for. I agree. I sat it yesterday under ‘controlled environment’ at my local chapter … i agree that that the score was disproportionate with time to required to answer the question … especially the one with the micro attribution calculations. I doubt we would need to calculate so many portfolios in the actual exam. i just used it as a time exercise - used pen on AM and squeezed any additional learning. when it came to the marking … I was really strict. A little confidence booster as I scored 67% on AM and over 80% in PM.