WHOS STARTED ALREADY?

Kkent, that’s a peripheral reason I’m taking the FRM - alot of overlap with Level I.

Starting Oct 1 to read through CFAI stuff until December 1 when I start studying crazy. I will take a break during Christmas/new years and then seclusion in January.

Sept - Read Book 1 of CFAI Starting Oct 1 - 15 hrs/week Finish CFAI books by Feb Shweser Practice Exams

dun think u need to read level 1 … only go back to level 1 if the concept is not clear on level 2. i mean even in the curriculum 2, it tells u if the concept is an add on from level 1 material. thats what i think …

I started with a bit of FSA today. I’ll probably read up CFAI texts first. About an hour everyday. Little more over the weekend. January onwards, I’ll put in more hours. That’s the plan for now.

CFAI books arrived today. New colours as well :-p I will read some stuff this year. Then start with CFAI books, then schweser next year. I will build to a crescendo at next years exam so will ensure i dont burn myself out… tbh, if you dont see it as proper work you can do it for longer but no way will i be doing more than a couple of hours on the weekend and may be one evening for the mo…life if for living and no way i could retain it!

1. Now: Cursory reading through CFAI FSA book (up to page 220) - don’t do the problems. This is my weakest subject and just trying understand what is being taught, will really focus on this later. Should finish the book soon. 2. Sep - early Dec: Get through my two MBA classes, cursory reading of the CFAI books, order QBank, flip through QBank questions. 3. Dec - Mar/Apr: Read the remaining CFAI books, re-read the FSA book last, but do the problems this time. This way FSA is freshest in my mind. 4. Apr - May: Take online CFAI practice exams, answer the 4000th QBank question.

jheld3 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Behavioral finance is interesting stuff. doesn’t > seem hard when reading, but could be the source of > some wicked questions. > > The managing individual and investor portfolio > material is long, and dense. Plan to delve into > that over the next two weeks. Looks really > hard…a lot of material for one reading. > > For past L3 takers…is this good stuff to focus > on 1st? > > J. was that a typo? are you taking L2 or L3? i didnt realize that behavioral finance was part of the curriculum… sounds like fun! my books are on their way :slight_smile:

Are you guys solving the questions at the end of the Curriculum chapters? The solution’s provided in the appendix. I tried doing some yesterday and just zonked out…

Will start in Oct/Nov. Currently busy job hunting… Fuck this job market!

Is the job market that bad over there? I must say that we still have a ton of open positions in finance here in Europe. I haven’t started yet but I also haven’t got the books yet. Probably not before October anyway, I intend to really get going some time that month.

where at in europe are you? i will probably be making the move out there in about 5 yrs or so

mcpass, the job market here is fine, just not in finance. The finance job market is beyond bad.

loads of jobs in London. I think it must be the easiest place to land a gig in IB. A Canadian guy just joined my old division (just moved) and he commented on how easy it was to land a job in the UK compared to Canada. the weather is rubbish but the money is good :wink:

read soft dollar chapter yesterday, couldn’t concentrated in, then moved on to correlation and regression, not too bad, Will make notes of reading 11 and try the after-chapter problems tonight.

awesome. hope it holds up for the next few years. i have no desire to get into IB though…

You certainly don’t want to come for the weather…

I wouldnt spend too much time reviewing Level 1 material. You’ll get what you need from the Level 2 notes/materials (there is alot of overlap in equity valuation, the FSA is pretty different). My biggest mistake in studying for Level 2 this time was I somewhat discounted the topics that had a 0-15% weighting and focused more on the bigger topics. They get you with the nitty gritty details of the smaller topics, so you really need to know them. I nailed the big topics and missed the smaller ones-here I am again at Level 2…My plan is read the CFAI books on derivatives and portfolio management in the next few months to try and really understand them and then start studying the Schweser notes in Jan…

mcpass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You certainly don’t want to come for the > weather… worse than boston’s humid summers and windy winters?

flounder Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wouldnt spend too much time reviewing Level 1 > material. You’ll get what you need from the Level > 2 notes/materials (there is alot of overlap in > equity valuation, the FSA is pretty different). > My biggest mistake in studying for Level 2 this > time was I somewhat discounted the topics that had > a 0-15% weighting and focused more on the bigger > topics. They get you with the nitty gritty details > of the smaller topics, so you really need to know > them. I nailed the big topics and missed the > smaller ones-here I am again at Level 2…My plan > is read the CFAI books on derivatives and > portfolio management in the next few months to try > and really understand them and then start studying > the Schweser notes in Jan… flounder, sorry to hear that mate. hope you clear it this time. Since you are already familiar with the curriculum , can you tell me if Schweser did a decent job with FSA and Asset valuation and Equity? Thank you.