Who's taking the CQF in NYC for Jan?

I’m enrolled --> deferred it a couple of times due to…errr…stuff… *Note --> I don’t care of your opinion on the program (unless you’ve actually taken it). Please do not make this a post of CQF vs. traditional MFE.

who is paying - you or employer? Isn’t it cost close to 18K?

I payed half

What kind of previous math background do you need? I’m pretty light on math.

I do not come from a math background --> couple of calc and stats classes from my undergrad. With self study from Shaum’s guides and the pre-math course (apart of CQF --> Riaz Ahmad is an excellent teacher) and dedication, you’ll be ripping through partial differential equations before you know it! They have a pre-maths test which you take and submit which is part of the application process; the questions are fairly straightforward once you’ve gone through the above course/books. Preferably, but not necessary, the course directors would like candidates with the following undergrad courses: 1) Calc 1-3 2) Ordinary and partial differential equations 3) Linear Algebra (vectors, eigen values, etc…) 4) A course in Probability While the above is not ‘necessary’, you will basically write-off your social life for 6 months since you’ll have a slight handicap vs. those from a mathsy background; though the instructors and support are very accommodating and the course work is very practical and understandable --> they simplify alot of difficult concepts vs. other instructors which discuss abstact concepts to show how smart they are (or who just can’t teach well, or just don’t care to teach well…). It also helps to have familiarity with VBA programming, but they teach this on the course as well. One of the best elements of the program are the lectures beyond the examined portion which consist of C++ and Java programming specifically for finance related applications.

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m enrolled --> deferred it a couple of times due > to…errr…stuff… > > *Note --> I don’t care of your opinion on the > program (unless you’ve actually taken it). > > Please do not make this a post of CQF vs. > traditional MFE. I do not know care about CQF and it’s relevance, BUT I do admire your dedication and optimism. Best of wishes.

Keep us posted, Keys. I’m interested to hear about it as you go through the program. What do you do and what are you looking to get out of the program?

Keys, I am seriously thinking about it. Did you look into getting a loan from a bank or are you paying cash for it?

I was a analyst/portfolio manager in a previous life in Toronto (Fundamentally driven quantitative portfolios)–> left, moved to NYC and now work for a finance technology company I am taking the program since I believe it will add the highest diversity to the CFA vs. the other self-study programs (FRM, PRM, CAIA, CMT, CPA, etc…). I believe the blend of quantitative and fundamental strategies is the future (present…) of finance. I am truely interested in the subject. I am not gunning for any position after this course; I will enjoy the mind expansion.

Paid in cash.

I am thinking about going to my bank and asking for a loan for half the amount. I want to do it because i Dont have the time/money for MFE. I have a very strong math background. I think I will be able to make a killing off it.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Keys, I am seriously thinking about it. Did you > look into getting a loan from a bank or are you > paying cash for it? No malice or offence intended, but how many qualifications do you really need?

Good luck!

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > needhelp Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Keys, I am seriously thinking about it. Did you > > look into getting a loan from a bank or are you > > paying cash for it? > > No malice or offence intended, but how many > qualifications do you really need? Jow my existing credentals are not in quant finance type areas. CFA is not quant-heavy. my other credentials are math-heavy but lack programming, derivative strategies etc. i know i can open more doors for me. i am tired of making only half a mil each year.

Has anyone on this forum done the CQF or is doing it now?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1236783273&play=1 Wilmott was on CNBC today… The journalists just don’t get it…Hey Paul, What are your mathematicals telling ya or tell me which asset class is going up…uggghhh

That exchange was awkward.

Looks like its just you and me, Keys.

So needhelp, you all in; got the financing? I’ve put the studying down for the summer, but time to pick it up again!

I think I will try to finance half of it and pay cash for the other half.