why a full time positions to earn charter

What do people think as far as why does the CFAI require the work experience be full time? How would they define full time, 40 hours a week? Logically, I dont really understand why whether you do it full time or part time should matter…

Barriers-to-entry. The higher the barriers, the more valuable the designation.

I think it should be 4 years * 52 weeks * 40 hours = number of hours required to hold the charter… That way those that work 90 hrs can get the charter in 2 years. Only fair…

I have written about this earlier. It is better to give the work ex requirements in terms of hours rather than saying one should spend 50% of his/her time in related activities.

Even if you did it by hours, there is a specific requirement it be a full-time position. Which is where I have a little trouble. If I work 42 hours for my employer and then 40 hours in something else that would otherwise be considered “charter” worthy…would it count? I guess I am not clear on what counts as full time. I do agree I think it should count based on the hours, not months, of relevant experience. And be non-dependent on full-time/part-time. I guess I dont see why someone does something full-time as opposed to part-time is more/less valuable…??? If barriers to entry were the goal I would think they could do this by more strictly enforcing the actual experience (not the hours/employment type)…seems more logical to me.

Another thing that is not logical is the 50% rule. I can spend 6 hrs in a 16h day and not qualify while someone can spend 4hrs in a 8h day and qualify for the charter. This is not logical is it?

Another thing that is not logical is the 50% rule. I can spend 6 hrs in a 16h day and not qualify while someone can spend 4hrs in a 8h day and qualify for the charter. This is not logical is it?

Agree…and see you feel strongly about it.