Why a lot of candidates failed PM last year...

I regret creating this thread! now im scared as hell!!!

Sponge_Bob_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Richard Smulkock, a consultant on economic growth, > is working in an African Country. He is asked to > help improve the economy. What is the most likely > suggestion that will help the country prosper? > > A. Encourage Savings > B. Lower Taxes > C. Invest in Education > D. Gov’t Subsidized Research and Development. > > > That was pretty much the econ section last > year…pick the most correct out of 4 correct > answers. did you make up the question? or, is it real? could be A, C or D… i’d say C…

Sponge Bob…I just threw up in my mouth after reading that becuase that was exactly the type of question they asked. The econ section went a long way to souring me on the exam as a whole, in terms of the ridiculous things they do (did) to keep the pass rate down. There’s NO reason, with all the material in the econ section, that they should’ve had the vignette they did last year.

"did you make up the question? or, is it real? " There will be no Richard Smulkock on the exam, trust me.

westbruin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > did you make up the question? or, is it real? > > could be A, C or D… i’d say C… he didn’t make it up and I believe it was C this was followed by more questions on what changes the Minister Chick (it was a woman in the vignette) was going to make to improve her country. All of the changes were based on the growth theories, regulation and tarrifs/quotas

lol

do i need to remember the BSM and Black formula?

PM is a silent killer. Now mixed with econ…its totally revamped and we are the guinea pigs.

I love being a test subject and what I don’t understand is why the shit did they add 20% more material to level 2 (like it was not big enough before)

Wow -5 for westbruin for honestly asking if I made that up. Yes it was completely made up, but the econ section last year was just like that…it seemed all of the answers were right, but you had to pick the “best” one.

caspian Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “i’d say know TB AND look for the next obscure > subject (those later chapters in FSA are pretty > general have little nuggets hidden within).” Reading through the CFAI text, the introduction to the TB section basically states that their work is massively underappreciated and they should be worshipped as PM gods. I guess CFAI is doing their bit to raise TBs profile. I would say there will almost definitely be a TB vignette.

Slim chance…

Not one I’ll be taking.

I like B on sponge_Bob’s question. I think the only way to pick up this kind of points is to keep on reading and do not assume anything. Read everything in Schweser. Other than that, read as much as possible in CFAI text, mainly PM stuff.

Is there a danger that the CFA Inst now buys the Schweser materials in order to target obscure topics?

riot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am repeating and here were my marks last June: > > Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > - Derivatives 36 - * - > - Economics 18 * - - > - Equity Analysis 72 - - * > - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - > - Financial Statement Analysis 108 - - * > - Fixed Income Analysis 36 - - * > - General Portfolio Management 36 * - - > - Quantitative Analysis 18 - - * > > I consider PM my strongest topic so you can see > why I consider that I failed largely due to the TB > question. I also got completely owned by econ > where there was nothing on FX at all, two stupid > bits on economic growth theories. Aw jesus Riot. There goes my “pass FSA and Equity Valuation and you’ll be fine” theory.

Hm… on second thought… CFAI mole?

WHy do I even bother reading this forum, it only destroys my confidence…

take it all with a pinch of salt. seriously last year was not nice. this year will be the same. its a CFA exam. period some bits you will find easier than other and some bits will be extreme. try your best as thats all you can do. some will pass most will fail. i am 3rd time here. 1st time no idea, 2nd time just like everyone else as plenty >70% now i dont feel prepared and have not done any questions as of yet. if i pass i will be relieved more than anything else. if i fail, i take a year off cfa and re-assess it… i want to pass - trust me. I want each one of you that has worked hard to pass. this board is both helpful and destructive all in one. just be rational and try not to feel too beaten up when you dont know something even though you looked it at 3 nights ago! Everyone feels they are seeping knowledge right now

elparko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Aw jesus Riot. There goes my “pass FSA and Equity > Valuation and you’ll be fine” theory. Your theory sucks! As you can see I ‘passed’ a lot more than FSA and Equity. Don’t think that you think you can rock up having passed level 1 and gone through the new material. You need to be just as on top of the syllabus as you were when you took the first exam. Don’t forget the 60% of people that fail level 2 have all passed level 1.