Why a lot of candidates failed PM last year...

allépourpêcher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is there a danger that the CFA Inst now buys the > Schweser materials in order to target obscure > topics? Highly, highly unlikely. My understanding is that they write the questions before Schweser comes out with their material.

can anybody explains to me why it’s C not D? My thought is I need to pick one that contributes most to technology, and therefore the gov R&D. I checked the notes. It seems only saying saving doesn’t help on developing countries. Is there something helpful regarding this question from textbook?

riot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am repeating and here were my marks last June: > > Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > - Derivatives 36 - * - > - Economics 18 * - - > - Equity Analysis 72 - - * > - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - > - Financial Statement Analysis 108 - - * > - Fixed Income Analysis 36 - - * > - General Portfolio Management 36 * - - > - Quantitative Analysis 18 - - * > > I consider PM my strongest topic so you can see > why I consider that I failed largely due to the TB > question. I also got completely owned by econ > where there was nothing on FX at all, two stupid > bits on economic growth theories. There’s 360 questions??? WTF??? I finished both Level 1 sections last year with about 5 minutes to spare with 240 questions.

wyantjs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > riot Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am repeating and here were my marks last > June: > > > > Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > > - Derivatives 36 - * - > > - Economics 18 * - - > > - Equity Analysis 72 - - * > > - Ethical & Professional Stnds. 36 - * - > > - Financial Statement Analysis 108 - - * > > - Fixed Income Analysis 36 - - * > > - General Portfolio Management 36 * - - > > - Quantitative Analysis 18 - - * > > > > I consider PM my strongest topic so you can see > > why I consider that I failed largely due to the > TB > > question. I also got completely owned by econ > > where there was nothing on FX at all, two > stupid > > bits on economic growth theories. > > > > There’s 360 questions??? WTF??? I finished > both Level 1 sections last year with about 5 > minutes to spare with 240 questions. there are 120 questions, worth 3 points each.

Oh. Thank God.

riot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > elparko Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Aw jesus Riot. There goes my “pass FSA and > Equity > > Valuation and you’ll be fine” theory. > > Your theory sucks! As you can see I ‘passed’ a lot > more than FSA and Equity. > > Don’t think that you think you can rock up having > passed level 1 and gone through the new material. > You need to be just as on top of the syllabus as > you were when you took the first exam. Don’t > forget the 60% of people that fail level 2 have > all passed level 1. Riot - Just surprised you didn’t pass… you’d figure with half of the exam in equity valuation and fsa you’d have the exam in bag… plus you whomped on two other sections as well… *sigh*

“Oh. Thank God.” You dont know how many questions are on the exam you’re taking in two weeks and have been studying months for?

“Re: Why a lot of candidates failed PM last year…” Because they hoped to compensate their strenght areas (>70s) with their weak areas (<70s). 1. Do not panic 2. Give yourself a fair minimum target of >70 in each area. 3. Confront your weak areas while you can 4. Get a hold on all the seemingly “unlikely” topics 5. You are now dealing with 120 questions instead of 360, so the compensating theory is too dangerous in a situation where you are completely scr*wed on a topic area (if you miss 6 questions in a vignette, that is 18 marks in smokes unlike 6 marks in Level 1) 6.Practice and solve more questions on those weak areas 7. In your practice exams, pay more attention to understanding the questions you missed rather than the overall marks you got. 8. Do not panic…so you can concentrate on getting this fixed in the next 2 weeks

Question about the score posted by Riot: I noticed if you add up all the numbers next to the name of each section you get 360. How can FSA be 108/360? That’s 30%, while CFA says FSA can only be 15-25% ( http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/courseofstudy/topicareaweights.html )… also, I noticed that Alternative Investments is missing from the list… is this something new they added this year?

Corp Fin is included in FSA. Alt Inv is now in L2 vs. L1.