Why are the equity markets open all day today?

?

I wanted to know that too.

Because it’s New Years’ DAY that is the holiday, not New Years’ Eve.

Want to know something else that will really ruin your day? January 1, 2011 (a year from tomorrow) is on a Saturday. I already checked, markets are open for full days both that Friday 12/31, and that Monday, 1/3. Enjoy.

Those cold winter nights must just fly by when your about SMIRK with chat like that!

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Because it’s New Years’ DAY that is the holiday, > not New Years’ Eve. Then why is Christmas Eve a half day? Or the day before Thanksgiving? Seems like today should be similar.

I was told that it is actually a law that in the US- the market cannot be closed for more than 3 consecutive days- ergo working Friday after thanksgiving. I don’t know if it has to do with settlement or with keeping prices stable or what though…

has to do w/ liquidity

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was told that it is actually a law that in the > US- the market cannot be closed for more than 3 > consecutive days- ergo working Friday after > thanksgiving. I don’t know if it has to do with > settlement or with keeping prices stable or what > though… Same thing with banks except it’s 4 days.