Why are there so many CFAs in Toronto?

People mentioned this before on the forum but why does Toronto have so many CFAs?

1 of the reasons i think its because you have such a high supply of finance ppl but so little jobs. so ppl do whatever they can to get ahead. for instance, research associate positions here have many ppl with both MBA and CFA. In the US, i have heard you can get in after undergrad. in the US, once you graduate from a top school, I believe you can head to the direction you want. completing an MBA in Canada doesn’t offer the same benefits. lots of ppl from top 4 schools here still can’t get close to the jobs they want.

Frank While it is true that Associates have both MBA/CFA, you can still get in after undergrad in Canada

tons of asians. end of thread.

There’s something about Canadians and the CFA. There are some Canadian people in my office and they all have charters or are sitting for CFA, FRM, and other exams like that.

financedude Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > tons of asians. end of thread. racist

I pretty much agree with FrankArabia. There used to be many more finance jobs in Toronto; there aren’t anymore, but there’s still a supply of people aspiring to get into the field and seem like they’d rather try to make their own in Toronto as opposed to relocating…though it’s hard to argue that the finance job market is that much better anywhere else in Canada at the moment…

There seem to be a lot more candidates than charterholders and given that Toronto is a large north american financial centre and home of the TSX that is not unusual .

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > financedude Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > tons of asians. end of thread. > > > racist I actually think there is some truth to that. Asians love to study and believe that is the way towards success. I mean, if you visit the test centres, you thought you were in China or something. I by the way am asian from the waist up so its not racist.

“I by the way am asian from the waist up so its not racist.” Asians are determined from the waist down.

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > financedude Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > tons of asians. end of thread. > > > racist I’m Asian and damn proud of it. But will make fun of it too. lol. So what, sorry for saying that we would strive to achieve something in our careers by taking a hard test…

"I actually think there is some truth to that. Asians love to study and believe that is the way towards success. For an interesting theory about your statement read ‘Outliers’ by Malcolm Gladwell

i skimmed through the book. read the first 100 pages than found the read terribly boring though the offer offer a very decent point. but i know asians love to study and think studying is the way to go. of course, not all asians, its just a very general statement. i’m not saying i know why they do that, just that they do.

I don’t think the Asian comment was intended to be racist. I am caucasian but live in a city with a very large Asian population. Many of my best friends are Asian. What I can say based on discussions with my Asian friends is that education, and particularly technical education, is very highly valued in the Asian culture and a sign of significant achievement. And when you are an immigrant (or come from immigrant parents) a strong technical education is viewed as a source of security, stability and presitige.

i was joking.