Why being software developer is not cool

Why? Why is that i tell some one i am a software developer people give me that dirty look?

1 Like

I work in a software development company, and while not being cool like the fonz, the developers here are definitely cool in my book. Do you need your eyebrows trimmed?

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I work in a software development company, and > while not being cool like the fonz, the developers > here are definitely cool in my book. > > Do you need your eyebrows trimmed? No, i mean it is not a respectable job. Doctor, Lawyer, Investment Banker - yes, but software developer - meh

“developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers developers. developers developers developers developersdevelopers developers developers developers! developers developers developers developers. YES!” - Steve Ballmer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

NERDS!!! That is your answer.

On the bright side you’re actually doing something that benefits people and creates value for society.

Analti_Calte_Equity Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “developers developers developers developers > developers developers developers developers > developers developers developers developers > developers developers developers developers. > developers developers developers > developersdevelopers developers developers > developers! > developers developers developers developers. > YES!” > > - Steve Ballmer > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE hahahahahah this should be csk’s ringtone…

May be something is wrong with ur looks when u say u r a s/w developer

Refer to this thread: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1292457

There are developers, and then there are the developers. When people look down on you because your are the software developer, a good response would be: “At least I didn’t wast other peoples taxes or lie for a living!” Your self-esteem matters when you talk to people about your profession. And there is plenty to be proud of, think about the productivity gains due to software for just on example. While it is true that large firms IT departments show enormous slack and dramatic political show-downs, I believe the peoples perception of developers originates elsewhere. There is a perception that software can be done exclusively in India, and since that moment nobody wanted to be a developer anymore. But well, most IB work is done in India now, law firms send the paper work (actually even case prep in some instances) to India and I have my consulting and marketing work performed by cheap labor in the US. There is even medical tourism. The problem with people that look down on developers is, that they still think of India as a developing country, and clearly work that can be done in the 3rd world cannot require skill. These people have simply not realized that the world has changed, Indians demand and developed world workers provide. We have great difficulties getting the developers we need. Everybody wants to be a banker or at least a project manager and people don’t realize that the better bankers are developers with a master of finance: More clever, more honest and much more productive. In any case, that accounts for the average banker and every AF member is far better than the average banker. Be proud to be the software developer. You can do whatever you want while most other professions are limited to their own domain.

Very well put, egal. It also depeneds on your location. For example, a software developer in the SF bay area gets a lot more respect than in most other parts of the world. I personally know some super bright kids who went to Stanford / Berkeley, 4 pointers all the way, but they proudly want to remain developers. Although I know these guys can do whatever they put their minds to

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No, i mean it is not a respectable job. Doctor, > Lawyer, Investment Banker - yes, but software > developer - meh Outside of finance, finance jobs (yes even trader/banker) aren’t particularly respected either.

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why? Why is that i tell some one i am a software > developer people give me that dirty look? it’s probably because they just realized that you’re smarter than them. also, there’s no way to make a lot of money as a software developer…

you prob just need a tan

Being a software developer: When I say this, I am sure many of my mates will turn their heads, and say, “maybe you could get a better job”. However, this is my love and passion. It has given me a chance to see what’s under the hood, to learn from my own mistakes, to innovate, to create, to travel, and to put my heart and soul into what I do. I’ve learned how to program, how to write good code and how to manage projects, and I am better at my job because of it. I am proud of what I can do, of what I’m learning, and I don’t care how it “looks”.

Lol

jamessouness had to dig to Parisian Catacombs-levels of depth in order to gravedig this thread.