Why CFA?

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CCM Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > For “other” reasons: so MD/Department heads > will > > stop asking me why I have an english lit degree > or > > not asking as the case may be. > > do you get a lot of flak for having a humanities > degree in finance? how did you even get hired? is > the CFA program hard for you? > > we just hired someone with an english degree for a > sell side junior analyst position and that person > gets a lot of disrespect. apparently, the only > acceptable majors where i work are finance / > accounting / economics or engineering. frankly, i > don’t see how engineering is any more related to > finance than english lit. is, but people seem to > believe that engineering is harder and more worthy > of respect. kind of makes you wonder why they > hired the person in the first place if they are > just going sh!t on their education every other > day. weird. I loved taking English lit classes. I still love English lit. Can’t imagine anyone giving me a speech about how uneducated I am for taking English lit in college. I’ve never met anyne in finance I respect as much as, say, Tennyson.

I work at a buy side shop in research and I can tell you that a lot of people here have or persuing the CFA. In fact if someone doesn’t have a CFA/MBA and not peruing it, there is a certain kind of pressure or hints from mgmt that they should be doing it. So I do agree that it is becoming more of a standard at a certain level. A pretty high standard at that.

I love this topic, I found out SOA website, http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12 many actuaries discuss actuarial profession and financial career. these two area, which one has better potential? I think investment field seems too broad, it depends which specific area you are doing.

I see that about 50% of the guys in HF, Fixed income, Credit markets have Engineering degrees. BS/MS (Engg) + MBA + CFA/FRM/Ph.D-Finance is quite common.

I usually teach the accounting courses in a BBA/MBA program but have been given more finance lately because I’ve passed L1 and L2. We had hired a PhD Finance guy and he’s pissed because I’m getting more this responsibility and the management courses he has to teach. He goes on and on about how he’s a PhD in Finance until I approached him one day and told that I was just as qualified as he was to teach finance. The director too went to bat for me telling him I was more qualified than he was in finance because of the CFA. It made me feel good.

I’m scratching my head on this one. How is a CFA better than a PHD in finance? UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I usually teach the accounting courses in a > BBA/MBA program but have been given more finance > lately because I’ve passed L1 and L2. We had > hired a PhD Finance guy and he’s pissed because > I’m getting more this responsibility and the > management courses he has to teach. He goes on > and on about how he’s a PhD in Finance until I > approached him one day and told that I was just as > qualified as he was to teach finance. The > director too went to bat for me telling him I was > more qualified than he was in finance because of > the CFA. It made me feel good.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > having the cFA will not guarantee > you big bucks at ease. What!!!,no one told me,I feel like I have wasted the last three years of my life!

I never said CFA is better than PhD in Finance, my director said it. And it some ways its probably true, a PhD will cover the Port Mgmt and Equity Analysis but not all the adjustments necessary in FSA before you do the valuation! The CFA handles both. What I said was that “I was JUST AS QUALIFIED as he was”. Big difference to what my director said.

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I usually teach the accounting courses in a > BBA/MBA program but have been given more finance > lately because I’ve passed L1 and L2. We had > hired a PhD Finance guy and he’s pissed because > I’m getting more this responsibility and the > management courses he has to teach. He goes on > and on about how he’s a PhD in Finance until I > approached him one day and told that I was just as > qualified as he was to teach finance. The > director too went to bat for me telling him I was > more qualified than he was in finance because of > the CFA. It made me feel good. Well that may have made you feel good but it was nonsense. A CFA charter doesn’t give you anything close to the depth that one gets in a Ph.D. program. Not even on the same planet. If I had been there (having both a charter and a Ph.D.) when you had opined that your level II pass made you just as qualified to teach finance as a Ph.D., we would have had a laugh at your expense. In the United States, a CFA charter would be an irrelevant qualification for getting a teaching job.

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I never said CFA is better than PhD in Finance, my > director said it. And it some ways its probably > true, a PhD will cover the Port Mgmt and Equity > Analysis but not all the adjustments necessary in > FSA before you do the valuation! The CFA handles > both. > Oh man, you have no clue what a Ph.D. knows and does. Material covered is not the issue at all - I’m sure that I never heard about the Breusch-Pagan test in my stats program, but I would be fine refereeing the article. > > What I said was that “I was JUST AS QUALIFIED as > he was”. Big difference to what my director said.

> Oh man, you have no clue what a Ph.D. knows and > does. Material covered is not the issue at all - > I’m sure that I never heard about the > Breusch-Pagan test in my stats program, but I > would be fine refereeing the article. Fair enough Joey, but I also don’t believe I should be undermined in my ability to teach finance. The CFA is still a credible qualification.