why did i take the CFA? (In an employers eyes)

kevinf12 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This cant be real I don’t know…could be. http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1232348,1232348#msg-1232348

Wow. I think you guys are getting a bit carried away. The exam has a 65% fail rate, of city professionals. I’m a student with no experience what so ever. It’s def. Something to be proud of. It shows ambition and dedication. Many other students aren’t even sure what jobs they want to apply for, let alone invest a significant ammount of time and money in an exam to further their chances. It’s not like I’m selling myself on this alone, it is a small caveat. I guess it’s more fun to hate Thanks to anyone who contributed with any kind of positive attitude

In all seriousness- just pray your interview is directly after the guy that has Chartered Financial Analyst: level 1 (band 8). (December 2010) on his resume you’ll look like a genius

mjbizzle87, The reality is that more than a handful of college seniors who take Level 1 pass. Unfortunately, you did not, but it’s not the end of the world; neither is it a reason to state that on your resume. Instead, you should focus on passing this June. That would show dedication and ambition in my opinion.

If you’re going to put it on your resume and you’re currently signed up, just put: CFA Level 1 candidate If it comes up during an interview (the mere occurrence of the interview is doubtful), you can talk about how you took it before and learned a lot. I don’t think there’s much to be ashamed of if you failed it before. I did. But I certainly didn’t try to jazz up my fail on my resume. I only put L2 candidate after I passed L1.

You’re right MJ Bizzle. I’ve heard that Lazard be described as an M&A Powerhouse. Maybe showing that you signed up for CFA Level 1, studied, and failed will be a sneaky way for you to get hired. If you want to show that you’re really ambitious, maybe put colleges that you didn’t get accepted to on your resume too. http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,1232348,1232348#msg-1232348

Put that you are a L2 candidate, they will be so impress3d that they will hire you on spot. There is no way for them to know either! So take L1 in June and pass and claim you failed L2, see what I did there? Good luck buddy!

the HR misread ur resume and when they find out you will be the laughing stock of Lazard. Someone is going to forward to dealbreaker etc and you will be black listed fromfinance all cause you are an idiot

Did you fail ethics man? You have to put that you fail. You might get CFAI violated just for being ridiculous and putting that on there.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Did you fail ethics man? You have to put that you > fail. You might get CFAI violated just for being > ridiculous and putting that on there. He said he didn’t study any ethics; as a result I think we are operating on the assumption that he failed it.

mjbizzle87 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wow. > > I think you guys are getting a bit carried away. > > The exam has a 65% fail rate, of city > professionals. I’m a student with no experience > what so ever. It’s def. Something to be proud of. > It shows ambition and dedication. Many other > students aren’t even sure what jobs they want to > apply for, let alone invest a significant ammount > of time and money in an exam to further their > chances. It’s not like I’m selling myself on this > alone, it is a small caveat. > > I guess it’s more fun to hate > > Thanks to anyone who contributed with any kind of > positive attitude I don’t think people are hating because you failed. There is nothing wrong with failing this stupid exam. Many people, including most of us here, have failed at least once. But your resume does rise questions about your judgment. Not trying to be mean here, but that’s why people are laughing. Anyways, people make mistakes and I understand that. Just move on and don’t do this kind of $hit again, EVER. You don’t want to end up like this guy. http://dealbreaker.com/tag/luis-caselles-perez/

mjbizzle87 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wow. > > I think you guys are getting a bit carried away. > > The exam has a 65% fail rate, of city > professionals. I’m a student with no experience > what so ever. It’s def. Something to be proud of. > It shows ambition and dedication. Many other > students aren’t even sure what jobs they want to > apply for, let alone invest a significant ammount > of time and money in an exam to further their > chances. It’s not like I’m selling myself on this > alone, it is a small caveat. > > I guess it’s more fun to hate > > Thanks to anyone who contributed with any kind of > positive attitude do you want to be immediately put in to the 65% group? its like stating that your IQ is below 100 when applying to school… “hey, i’m below average to average, that’s what you’re looking for right?”. a job is about hiring the best and if they know you’ve failed, you’re already behind the people who haven’t wrote it yet, not to mentioned the people who have passed it. say you’re a candidate and do not mention the fail.

LICandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You’re right MJ Bizzle. I’ve heard that Lazard be > described as an M&A Powerhouse. Maybe showing that > you signed up for CFA Level 1, studied, and failed > will be a sneaky way for you to get hired. > > If you want to show that you’re really ambitious, > maybe put colleges that you didn’t get accepted to > on your resume too. > > > http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,123 > 2348,1232348#msg-1232348 Anyone researching my old threads in the hope of finding something they can turn into some histerical joke to impress their cyber buddies is beyond tragic. Possibly only surpassed by the moron who went to the effort of creating a mock thread at 4pm on a weekday. Your time must be truly valuable. But i guess it must be nice to get away from your hectic ‘models and bottles’ lifestyle and come to a place where noone knows who you are, where you can unwind and trample on young people as they ask you to impart some of the keys to your undeniable success. Congratulations though, after your comments this afternoon your e-willy must feel super huge. Who wouldn’t be proud of themsleves? I shudder to think how old some of the posters in this thread are.

Ah, the old “Idiot asks for advice on the internet, realizes he’s an idiot, decides the people he asked for advice are the actual idiots”. Never gets old.

not in the slightest. anyone who has given me positive feedback has been thanked for it.

mj - you are missing the point…dont let the attacks cloud the fact that as other posters have said, you dont want to start off by saying/showing you failed something. People that havent automatically jump you. The other thing is, it is a little questionable if putting band 9 really is being clear that you failed vs. passed (to those that dont know). Could be taken as you are a CFA Level 1… Dont let the other comments make you lose sight of the good points within.

mjbizzles87, I rate your thread a good 8/10, given a troll job. I rate your thread a good 10/10, given a real thread. Young man, you might be up there in the AF hall of famers. Do enjoy your popularity, because it will last.

Thanks for your post Kevin. But wouldn’t they jump me if i didnt take it anyway? At least this way i can express that i know maybe 60% of the level one material. I recently underwent an assessment for DB in ER, (to which i was invited after they reviewed my CV…??). In the first year of the position you are expected to study towards the CFA. Surely being able to say you have already sat the exam and know ~60% of the material is nothing but a bonus, as the programme openly expects you NOT to have it. I think cultures may play a difference here as well. I live in London and come from a top 5 school and most finance graduates here have no clue what the CFA is.

I would say the other poster had it right, sign up for the other level and put candidate for level 1 to show interest. And to show knowledge, that could easily come out in the interview. I dont mean it in a bad way, but I really dont see anyone looking at something where someone failed and saying oh, he has the knowledge because he tried it. That’s just me (an I would think from the responses most others), but I think human nature is that way such that you really would only get some credit here for passing. I finished the CFA program recently and understand that YOU feel you know things better than you would have if you didnt study (which I agree with), but dont confuse it with outside perceptions.

I think it’s fair to say that in this industry, never show weakness unless you absolutely have to (i.e. a low gpa when asked for a transcript). Level 1 may be a tough exam in the grand scheme of things, but if you think that an investment bank or hedge fund is looking to hire mediocrity, you’re in for a rough wakeup call.