why did i take the CFA? (In an employers eyes)

MCalamari Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it’s fair to say that in this industry, > never show weakness unless you absolutely have to > (i.e. a low gpa when asked for a transcript). > Level 1 may be a tough exam in the grand scheme of > things, but if you think that an investment bank > or hedge fund is looking to hire mediocrity, > you’re in for a rough wakeup call. maybe cause since every candidate is so good, and OPs approach is so different, he will get the job… i have changed sides. GO OP

Time to start a new religious following?

QQQBEEE

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have a feeling HR thinks you passed level 1. > You didn’t mention failing it and most people > would think band 9 is an overall grade, not a grad > of how badly you failed. So true. Never overestimate HR’s knowledge.

did you apply online? i bet the online app screener picked up the word “CFA” hahahaha

9 seems like a good grade; well done.

You should have asked for a retabulactation.

As a level 3 candidate working in US Equity Research, the only thing I would do if I came across your resume is start forwarding it around the office to give my co-workers some laughs. Register for L1, prepare to study hard, and write “L1 candidate” on your resume. Seriously, if a wall street blog like dealbreaker or wallstreetoasis got a hold of your resume, it will go viral fast.

“Chartered Financial Analyst: level 1 (Band 9). (December 2010)” This could be a violation of CFAI code & standards?not sure. but it sure gives an impression to someone who doesn’t know anything about the CFA program that you passed band 9. If you are registered for June’11 then mention you are a CFA Level 1 candidate.

greengrape Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Register for L1, prepare to study hard, and write > “L1 candidate” on your resume. Seriously, if a > wall street blog like dealbreaker or > wallstreetoasis got a hold of your resume, it will > go viral fast. You really think people give a sh*t about the CFA exam enough to forward? I doubt it. This isn’t a big deal or even that funny.

mjbizzle87 Wrote: > I think cultures may play a difference here as > well. I live in London and come from a top 5 > school and most finance graduates here have no > clue what the CFA is. You’re from a top 5 school? In that case, I wouldn’t even think about including your L1 fail result. It won’t add anything. Just mention it in the interview if you want to.

I’d just restate your cv to say you are in the CFA program. You rightly point out it hasn’t gathered the critical mass in the UK as it has elsewhere (let’s not forget it is a completely US-centric program). I think you are obviously keen to show your interest in finance beyond that of you contemporaries which is admirable. I know how it is, I have a bunch of cousins coming out of uni who are clueless and occassionally ask me what to do to get into ‘finance’ yet never follow up. So you are ahead of quite a few people and you are obviously going in the right direction given the interviews that you are getting. Bottom line, restate that you are in the CFA program. At your age and level of experience, that gives you more than enough brownie points.

I fail to believe that people are unaware of the CFA in London especially if you go to a top 5 school. On top of that LBS is partnered with the CFAI so that talking point further dismisses your drivel.

Flux Capacitor Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I fail to believe that people are unaware of the > CFA in London Band 9 Fail?

So, Bizzle… may I call you Bizzle? Thanks for coming in. Have a seat. Interesting resume here. I see you say you’re a Level 1 CFA. Good work! I know it’s a tough exam. Mr. Bates over there got his Charter a few years ago and will be talking to you in an hour. But this band terminology is new. I’m not familiar with what Band 9 means. Can you elaborate on that? It sounds all very impressive. “Well sir, it means that I didn’t pass the exam, but I almost did.” Oh, so Band 9 means that you tried to do the exam and just barely missed it. Hmmm… Strange thing to put on a resume. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. “Well, actually there are 10 bands… I just barely missed Band 10.” I see. So you were almost able to get to the point where you barely missed passing the first level of the CFA exam. “Exactly, I tried my best, but didn’t quite make it. But I’m going to do it again, and this time I’m going to succeed. Because I’m a winner.” So I guess you’re not a Level I CFA after all. I misunderstood that from your resume. We look for candidates who are pursuing the CFA designation, because we know it’s a tough exam and you have to work hard to pass it. Hmmm… So, anyway, what do you plan to do when you come here. “I’m going to work hard to add value to your business processes. I will successfully improve your ROI through careful analysis of your investment decisions and the identification of untapped synergies.” And you’re not going to pull any of this Band 9 type of $#!T when it comes to putting our clients’ money at risk. “No, for you Sir, it’s Band 10 all the way!” ------ ^^^ You want to avoid having these kinds of conversations if you are able to get an interview. So just mention that you are a Level I candidate and working hard to pass the exam. Maybe because you’ve done it before, you’ll sound more in control if you are asked about what you think of the curriculum. If it does come up that you have to say that you didn’t pass the exam, then the best excuse for failure is to say that you underestimated the intensity of the exam the first time around, and don’t plan to make that mistake again. A lot of people make that mistake on level I, even intelligent ones (though that excuse is harder to use for L2 and L3 - for those, the best excuse is excessive work eating into your study time).

man i was having a tough morning and just came to read this thread… day is now much better… this needs to be a sticky… just pure classic…

ahahah great post Chad.

Just to clarify, that post was not intended to be mean… just a humorous take on why it’s not a good idea to do this.

Dr C - Wick , u so mean

HAHAHA BCHAD YOU ARE KILLING IT THESE DAYS. I always thought you were just a really smart dude, but your comedic relief these days is exceptional.