Why did you choose to work for someone else not for yourself?

[original post removed]

I was talking about this with a friend recently, seeing as how I’m the first person in my family to work for “the man”. Parents and grandparents were entrepreneurs. Reasons in no particular order, I moved out of Canada and once in the US, I can’t be self employed without a green card. I’m also still not sure what I want to be when I grow up or what I could do better enough than established businesses. Still working on that plan to start a craft brewery, unfortunately I don’t know how to brew beer. Also the old immigrant standby of opening a restaurant of your home cuisine doesn’t work too well for us westerners in other western countries. I suppose we have poutine.

For me the main reason was my upbringing. Study hard, go to a good college, get a job. It wasn’t till I had a couple of years of experience working for the Man that I realized I had other options. It’s too late now though. Too many responsibilities and commitments to start over. My kid’s gonna learn otherwise though.

please don’t open ANOTHER craft brewery. the new thing is distillery – far less saturated market.

^And far more difficult to crack

I don’t know your situation, but I’m confident saying “it’s too late” is an excuse. The truth is probably something closer to “i’m too comfortable now and don’t want to go through the discomfort of struggle”. Not saying one way or the other is correct.