why did you fail the exam?

My condolensces to you guys. I think anyone can fail this exam. The morning is such a crapshoot. I’m sure the the variance is at least 20 percent. I doubt I was really that much better prepared than most band 10-7 people. I just got a littlle luckier with the grading and the questions asked.

You’ll get it next year!

Obviously essay marking is subjective… I guess that one has to have the luck too, to get the marker in a good mood for instance… Leaving the am session I thought that I had given decent answers… It’ s unbelievable that they graded most of my answers below 50!! Noway, I refuse to believe in that!!!

“Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.”

Winston Churchill

I agree. How I could be so good in the afternoon and so poor in the morning is a mystery.

Fuck

I was surely borderline pass. The fact that I passed was probably just luck.

My big mistake was not practicing HOW to take the essay portion of the exam. I didn’t even finish it and I seriously rushed as fast as I could for about 1/4th of it. I spent too much time on certain questions. I wrote on the lined pages instead of in the boxes for a question and that cost me 5 minutes.

So, if I had to do it again, I would make sure to be very solid on my timing – being able to finish the exam on time and setting a good pace so I’m not rushing through questions as fast as I can.

New to this forum, but second year failing l3. No real sense of why other than I screwed it up even though I was confident that I had nailed the morning section. Was certainly not for lack of effort. At any rate, although disappointed, I truly gave it my best shot, so will take another crack at it next year.here is to perseverance…

According to a blog, each question is checked by a different grader, to make the marking less subjective.

But sames the case with me. Ive bombed the morning section real bad. 7 questions below 50%. Evening section ive done fairly well. Band 5, first attempt. Dont know if i’ll even be able to get through next year or no!

To sg17463,

First of all thank you for being so frank about your path up to now. I just wanted to tell you not to give up this near to the grand finale. My way through the CFA is the exact same as yours (Been doing that for the past 7 years, with numerous attempts at all 3 levels). But I am so glad to say I’ve finally defeated the beast (2nd attempt at Level 3). I got my email at 9 o’clock sharp. I was going down the bus, and you know what… I cried, cried with relief but above all cried with pride for what I have finally achieved.

Being in a new country, I do hope this will open up new doors for me… That’s my next big challenge.

Keep it going.

Also, they fail anyone who writes that they “gave the exam” automatically.

Failed band 6, first attempt.

I signed up at the last deadline (March) and started studying after I got my books a week later. Wish I could have started earlier but there was too much going on with my personal life. Only reason I decided to take the exam this year is because my wife and I are expecting our third child. Things will only be more difficult next year. At the very least, it was a chance to review the material for the 2014 exam.

I would highly recommend going to Creighton’s boot camp in May. I know my band 6 is nothing to brag about, but I’m sure I would have done a lot worse without going to the class. The review is awesome and the instructor (Mark LeFebvre) teaches you how to handle the AM section.

My pleasure.

I really can’t say much other than I got killed on the Alt investments being a big section and that was the difference between passing and failing for me. I also changed a couple answers after staring at them for a while to the wrong choices of course. I know some people crushed the PM but I did average because those were some of my weaker topics. And I think it’s a handful of questions that separated me from passing

I failed for one reason, and one reason only. I didn’t get enough quesions correct to surpass the MPS.

dont go to any more classes or do any readings at all . Just do questions and mock exams and youll be fine

good luuck