Why didn't we become surgeons???

I recently reviewed America’s most lucrative jobs and probably 80% of them were health-care related with Surgeons at #1 and Anesthesiologists at #2. I wonder if this industry (medicine) is half as competitive as the one we’re in. These jobs are certainly well paying and probably don’t lead to boredom (the reason I’m posting on this forum to begin with). http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/20/06work_bestpayjobs_slide_5.html?thisSpeed=6000

“Surgeons at #1 and Anesthesiologists at #2” - is this net of malpractice insurance and med school debt?

Because it is not easy to be a surgeon? Plus, when you passed all the exams to be a surgeon, you will be at the early 30s. But from my POV, I would prefer being a surgeon making $700k versus an i-banker who makes $2M. You work way less hours and you have more respect from people.

ole boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “Surgeons at #1 and Anesthesiologists at #2” > > - is this net of malpractice insurance and med > school debt? Hey even in spite of this, these people will still retire multi-millionaires.

My father is a cardiovascular surgeon. He couldn’t be happier that I am not going into medicine. The malpractice is just horrible. I can go all day about stories my dad has gone through with this bull &*$@. I live in Florida and doctors are just packing up shop and leaving. A lot of doctors are having to pay over $100k a year in malpractice insurance alone. An exemption they passed a few years ago saying that doctors can have X amount of dollars in a bank account can pass on paying malpractice helps. If you want to get into the medical field do plastic surgery. I tell everyone that. You work out of your own office, hospitals don’t take a big cut of your money, the market is growing rapidly depending on where you live, and the work life is better.

… the grass is always greener on the other side. I’ve never seriously considered any other career besides finance. You have to do what makes you happy.

For the most part doctors love what they do. Its pointless lawsuits and the changes hospitals are making to cover their own hides at the expense of the doctors is what they don’t enjoy.

Vote for me and I will reign in malpractice suits (no punitive damages and losing LAWYER pays).

How horrible is the malpractice insurance? So after that, how much is your dad’s take home pay? How many hours does he work every week?

numbers dont bleed all over my shoes.

My dad currently doesn’t pay malpractice insurance. He has X amount of dollars sitting in an account and that allows him to bypass paying any insurance. A patient must sign a document saying he doesn’t have the insurance but is in this program. For the hours, I really couldn’t put a number on it. He is on call 24/7 but usually goes to work around 6 and comes home around 2. He can have days where he gets out of bed at 4:30 and comes home at 6. He has dinner and gets called at 10 PM. Funny thing about the patients signing the document saying my dad has X amount of dollars. A patient came in and the secretary asked her to sign it. Just as my dad came to see her she said “If I sign this, does it still give me the right to sue you?” My father: “Good luck getting treated.”

6am to 2pm?

Sorry for not clearing that up. Yes, 6 am to 2 pm. Its fairly random but somewhere between 6-7 am to 2-4 pm are the norm.

" recently reviewed America’s most lucrative jobs and probably 80% of them were health-care related with Surgeons at #1 and Anesthesiologists at #2. I wonder if this industry (medicine) is half as competitive as the one we’re in. These jobs are certainly well paying and probably don’t lead to boredom (the reason I’m posting on this forum to begin with). " I wonder if it’s good that we have people out there thinking about a career in MEDICINE purely [it appears] for financial gain. Willy

Willy, you Canadian. :slight_smile: Profit is the reason U.S. companies released something like 210 of 219 new prescription medications in 2006.

kkent… there are certain jobs that shouldn’t be done for financial gain…capitalism works great but it has its pitfalls too…

The reason why so many drugs are discovered in the USA is because there are 300 drug companies there who employ 1000s of predominantly British and Asian trained Scientists. Canada, by comparision, has 3 “real” drug companies. The US is a drug powerhouse because they have cash yes, but the question/comment/point is more along the lines of should SURGEONS make career choices based on a love of money or a love of helping people get better. You’ve gotta think “I can replace that woman’s hip better than anyone and get her walking with her grandchildren more, gardening more, visiting friends more often, and I’m going to do it so well that her recovery time and phisio therapy time will be lower and more productive”. Willy

Its easy to distinguish good doctors from bad. Its harder to distinguish which doctors do it mainly for the money or to help people. I personally have no problem whatsoever if the doctor is in it for the money as long as he does a good job. I think a good percentage of doctors would put the fact that they can make a lot of money while helping others as the reason why they went into the field.

Based on what I read in the newspaper, it seems to me there are way less crooks among the doctors than investment pros. I wonder why. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I think dentist have the best of the health profession field. My wife is a dentist, we live in a relatively small southwest city (about 40,000); she works 4 days a week, 9-4 (90 minute lunch), never on call. Her practice grosses about a million (she draws about 250k), and she pays only $1200 a year in malpractice insurance. Sure, there’s an opportunity cost to her shortened work week, but she spends a lot of time doing charity work when not in her office–for her life is very good.