Why Do People Believe Conspiracy Theories?

“That’s the delirious beauty of an over-arching master conspiracy believed with absolute conviction: contradictory new facts, rather than undermining or disproving the scheme, are recast as affirmations of the undeniable larger truth.”

Sounds familiar.

You realize this is CIA propaganda designed not only to get you not to ask questions but to make you feel smart/superior for not asking questions. Its a brilliant play on people’s emotional need to feel superior to those around them in order to get them to WANT to stay in their cage. Really you have to tip your hat. Too bad it’s over for them. The number of people refusing to stay in the cage has gone parabolic. The sleepers still sitting happily in the cage are becoming the fringe, thank God.

“Doubt is our product since it is the best means of competing with the “body of fact” that exists in the mind of the general public. It is also the means of establishing a controversy.”

-1969 internal memo, Brown & Williamson cigarettes

https://www.industrydocumentslibrary.ucsf.edu/tobacco/docs/#id=psdw0147

coincidence? I think NOT!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/president-donald-j-trump-proclaims-january-2018-national-slavery-human-trafficking-prevention-month/?utm_source=link

Interesting thread on the (post?) pizzagate conspiracy:

https://twitter.com/alexandraerin/status/947327674707595264

Embedded within that though, one of the “believers” is, well, see for yourself:

https://twitter.com/kerrence/status/947388235872899073

Very interesting.

Wow you’re really invested in this. As far as that long post, it proceeds on false premises and ignores material facts. It also uses the tried and true method of making the opposition’s position seem as ridiculous as possible, mischaracterizing their arguments in order to frame the argument as - ‘anyone who believes any of this obvious insanity is an insane moron’. In short, it’s not an analysis, it’s an opinion/hit piece.

An inconvenient truth.

https://twitter.com/pgangie1/status/947596962483834881

Account suspended

This account has been suspended. Learn more about why Twitter suspends accounts, or return to your timeline.

lol

Fuckin Soros!!!

Please do not let this turn into yet another thread of people yelling past each other. The purpose of the thread is to understand why some people feel the need to believe conspiracy theories. I would actually be interested in Turd self-reflecting and describing why he thinks people believe certain things that are different from most people’s conception of reality. For example, if you need to take an objective point that I don’t believe anyone here holds: why do some people believe the world is flat?

Or if you happen to believe the world is flat, why?

cuz when i look outside my window. shit looks pretty flat to me! lol.

but yea pretty sure its round! not cuz i travelled around the world, cuz many before me already have. also i believe the majority. call me a lemming. but if enough niggas jump off a cliff. im sure i’ll be fine if i jump too :slight_smile:

conspiracy theorists and people who feel informed/smart by watching the news and reading ‘respected’ publications/science journals/‘you name it’ are two sides of the same coin. i’m here to demonstrate this truth.

How many people do you believe are complicit?

umm 100%. this is AF.

Turd, please keep your mental illness to one thread

birdman – i love you man.

You all guys write the words “conspiracy theories”, but what kind of conspiracy theories are we talking about? I’m sure there are theories that could be logical to be true and others just are jokes. So, if we want to further research about this, we should concentrate on the people that believe in at least somewhat logical conspiracy theories.

For example:

Is free energy a true thing? Has it been already discovered and governments around the glove have hidden the formula to not bust the gas / energy market, thus all the markets that depend on them? Also, all the investors into those markets (energy, cars, industry, gas extraction, commerce, etc) probably control the government itself. Could this be true?

Personally, I put my bet that the probability this to be true is 50%.

(PD: My life is probably extremely sad… right?)

This isn’t exhaustive, but examples to me include turd talking about interactions with energy beings in other dimensions, contact with aliens, the various things he gets from 4chan, and the stuff from all the sites which no-one has ever heard of which sounds off the walls crazy.

I’m aware that conspiracies exist and have existed. To me though it seems like some Luke turd apparently think that all of history is a conspiracy, and seem to see the world in those lights.

Ffs, he talks about the symbolism of pinecones. He took a report that the US had been bombing some opium fields in Afghanistan and claimed it was proof that the marines were at war with the CIA. Like, I’m not sure about the line of demarcation, but you know it when you see it sometimes.

^come on guy, you’ve had interactions with energy beings. that wet dream you had last night? That was a succubus feeding off your vital energy!

I dated someone in college whose father was a rare book dealer. Pretty cool job, right? So, being a smartass, we were out to dinner and the conversation turned to his work. At one point I said: “I’m not sure if you’ve seen it, probably not, but there is a book I’ve been looked for for quite a while…it’s called *whispering* The Necronomicon*.” He gave me a flat look and replied “I have sold the original. There are very few remaining.” And I believe him. The Necronomicon is real and somebody out there, somewhere is attempting to harness its power.

*Alhazred (the author of The Necronomicon is said to have been a “half-crazed Arab” who worshipped the entities Yog-Sothoth and Cthulhu. He is described as being from Sanaa in Yemen, and as visiting the ruins of Babylon, the “subterranean secrets” of Memphis and the Empty Quarter of Arabia (where he discovered the “nameless city” below Irem). In his last years, he lived in Damascus, where he wrote Al Azif before his sudden and mysterious death in 738.

In subsequent years, the Azif “gained considerable, though surreptitious circulation amongst the philosophers of the age.” In 950, it was translated into Greek and given the title Necronomicon by Theodorus Philetas, a scholar from Constantinople. This version “impelled certain experimenters to terrible attempts” before being “suppressed and burnt” in 1050 by Patriarch Michael (a historical figure who died in 1059).

After this attempted suppression, the work was only heard of furtively until it was translated from Greek into Latin by Olaus Wormius. (the date of this edition as 1228, though the real-life Danish scholar Olaus Wormius lived from 1588 to 1624.) Both the Latin and Greek text were banned by Pope Gregory IX in 1232, though Latin editions were apparently published in 15th century Germany and 17th century Spain. A Greek edition was printed in Italy in the first half of the 16th century.

The Elizabethan magician John Dee (1527-c. 1609) allegedly translated the book—presumably into English—but this version was never printed and only fragments survive.

The Arabic version of Al Azif had already disappeared by the time the Greek version was banned in 1050, though it has been cited a vague account of a secret copy appearing in San Francisco during the current [20th] century that later perished in fire. The Greek version has not been reported since the burning of a certain Salem man’s library in 1692 (an apparent reference to the Salem witch trials).

According to reports the very act of studying the text is inherently dangerous, as those who attempt to master its arcane knowledge generally meet terrible ends.