Why do potential employers all sound annoyed lately?

I have been interviewing at some prominent large financial firms and noticed that ALL of my sound annoyed, sound shuffled, all have been unprepared to interview, and frankly unenthused??? What’s up with that! So, I reply with a positive attitude, articulate my professional and academic achievements----and yet they act like they are not impressed and almost dismissive. At some points in the conversation, it seems like they’re even talking me out of the job? Is this some sort of Sun Tzu “Art of War” tactic ?

Mason88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > At some points in the > conversation, it seems like they’re even talking > me out of the job? I think it would be funny if the employer told you “you don’t want this job, trust me man”

You may have been the 5th person that day and all the interviews take up valuable work time.

This brings up an ethical dilemma. Let’s say you are asked to interview someone. The person is qualified, would do great work, and benefit the company. On the other hand, you know the person will be HATING life in about 2 months because the culture is horrendous, and the management is… umm, interesting, etc . I was in this situation once and I just tried to make the interview as factual as possible, answer question honestly, and not ‘sell’ the company. I wanted soo badly to tell the guy “you are too good for this place, you’d be an idiot to come here”, but I didn’t. Did I make the right choice? Bad mouthing the company might have got back to the bosses, which would have spelled trouble for me (as if I cared at that point anyway…). Thoughts?

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This brings up an ethical dilemma. Let’s say you > are asked to interview someone. The person is > qualified, would do great work, and benefit the > company. On the other hand, you know the person > will be HATING life in about 2 months because the > culture is horrendous, and the management is… umm, > interesting, etc . I was in this situation once > and I just tried to make the interview as factual > as possible, answer question honestly, and not > ‘sell’ the company. I wanted soo badly to tell > the guy “you are too good for this place, you’d be > an idiot to come here”, but I didn’t. Did I make > the right choice? Bad mouthing the company might > have got back to the bosses, which would have > spelled trouble for me (as if I cared at that > point anyway…). Thoughts? That’s cool that you were actually ethical, and din’t wantto help put someone in a bad situation.

i recently had an interview in shich the hiring manager kept saying that i should think very hard about accepting because there will be days when i will go, what am i doing here. he said that 3 times. finally i said, will i be making and serving coffee? and he laughed and said, oh no. i did tell the HR manager about it.

Look around AF though and you will find plenty of people who are questioning their career choice. It makes sense that it’s happening in the workplace as well. Another possible explanation for what Mason is describing is that the interviewer is distracted by the market. I know that when called upon to perform any task not directly related to picking stocks, like helping out with marketing or whatever, I have been less than stellar lately. And my fantasy baseball team sucks this year - once again I blame the attention required by a volatile stock market.

i’ve been interviewing a lot and experiencing some of the same stuff. noticeable difference from the last time i was interviewing, 2 years ago.

Maybe they’re afraid of getting laid off. Maybe they have to work harder and longer hours and their bonuses aren’t as high before. Maybe they lost a lot of friends in the last layoff?

True, but you would think spending 30 mins to an hour with a young, energetic and smart guy or gal who is excited to work for your company would be a refresher. It gives the interviewer an excuse to take a break for work and listen to someone who has the energy, competence and desire to contribute to the success of the company.

Maybe they don’t care and think that you’re just another number?

Maybe. As long I’m number one. :wink: