Why do so many CFA nerds study in Starbucks in NYC?

sounds like repress garbage…either way thats a good price.

I thought studying at my local coffee shop was pretty effective for me. It was pleasant to have some commotion/activity in the background. Plus, it forced me to keep my composure after bombing yet another practice exam.

Definitely had to study at home or the office once it exam time got closer, but the coffee shop was my regular weekend routine.

When you decide to go somewhere to study, it makes it “study time”. You need time for yourself and time to relax. If I only studied at home I would feel guilty that I’d need to study during my down time. Plus it’s a treat to get a coffee.

I’d assume in the hopes of not being classified as “nerds”.

I think it’s a personal preference. Comes down to what works for you.

Most of us who works get’s a feeling of been able to chill especially if we go there and study after work, due to the casual atmosphere.

I’ve never been one for studying in coffee shops but it would be good preparation for the noise level in the London test centre!

Although in starbucks you don’t have the god awful sount of a Britain’s Got Talent concert in the background…

I used to study at the library. Sure it involves getting dressed, taking a train, then buy food outside. But it removes home distractions -like TV, internet, stuff that needs to be done at home. Plus my home is associated with being relaxed place and when I come to library - i’m automatically in the study mode. I guess its the same with the sbux folks.

I used to study in the public library, but I was usually surrounded by bums who pretend to be reading newspapers, while trying to sleep there. Had to make a small alumni donation to my college in order to use their library -turns out a much better athmosphere.

It gives me more motivation, because I know I’m there for a purpose.

I suppose I can just jump rope, do push ups and pull ups at my house. But it’s hard to find motivation so I go to the gym. Same logic to me.

I always studied at home… wast just a lot more comfortable for me… besides, i needed a break every 30min-1hr. I’d go watch TV or grab somethign to eat. This routine just worked for me for some eason.

I loved studying in starbucks, i would open books and pretend i study hard while checking out all the girls, and then ofcourse mingle and stuff… very useful.

Also i love buying very expensive crappy coffee and sipping it like a boss

i went 5 kms in search of the nearest starbucks to study the last few days of level 1!

by that time i hated my study zone at home.

loved the anonymity of the place - only thing was that i had to literally stalk to get a table near the plug points! the anonymity, the crappy coffee and the “dont care whatever u do” attitude of SB was what scored for me…needless to say i did very little studying;-)

Studying at the bar > studying at SBUX…expecially with regard to the enhanced social opportunities. I don’t know why more finance people don’t study at bars. Practically every liberal arts person does.

http://news.menshealth.com/why-you-work-best-at-starbucks/2012/02/28/

Even better is going to sbux in a book store (Barnes &Noble, Chapters/Indigo, etc.): in the rare instances when the CFA material got a little less than exciting, it was a joy to go find something light and fun to read.

Is it that bad in London? I hope it isn’t when I sit level 1 in December!?