Why do you want to do sell side equity research

as opposed to buy side equity research?

more money less jobs

more money doing sell side equity research?

^ the upper salary potential of sell side is way higher than buy side. Also, you get a chance to talk to many funds, investors.

Oh really? I didn’t know that. Then how come so many people want to go to buy side?

My sense is that sell side research is considered the gateway to the buy side. As for compensation, I suspect that the upside potential for mediocre work is higher than on the buy side. But it’s hard for me to accept that top analysis talent is not rewarded sufficiently on the buy side to keep them from going back to the sell side. Sell side researchers get more publicity, so if you like the shine of the spotlight, you’re likely to get more as a sell side analyst than a buy side analyst. On the buy side, PMs generally get more show than analysts.

That should be the answer: “So, why do you want to do sell side research?” “I want to be highly compensated for mediocre work.”

Interviewer: “So, why do you want to do sell-side research?” You: “Big pimpin baby…spendin CHEESE.”

buy side is considered relatively easier,with the only person you need to convince is your PM. sell side you need to be a good analyst AND a good salesman at the same time. always trying to sell something to a lot of people. If you are very influential, if you can get management teams on the road often, and move markets with a research publication, firms will pay ridiculous amounts of money to hire you + an insane bonus.

Because I want to have no life, be constantly travelling and preparing pitch books and love working 6-7 days a week. :wink: Life is much better on the buy side.

Having been on both sides of the fence, no way would I ever go back to the sellside. The money argument is not true, especially if you take your annual salary/total working hours. As for stress being lower on the buyside, that depends on whether you’re working for a Citadel or a sleepy long only mutual or pension fund. Personally, the one benefit I see to working on the sellside is that it provides you with the opportunity to develop a network that can lead to other things. My experience on the buyside has been better money, better hours, work is more rewarding, client to wall st. = events/dinners/conferences/entertainment etc., can put on my headphones and listen to Deadmau5 all day while modeling and not being bothered.

I think for some people the type of research on the sell-side can be more interesting. Yeah you get stuck doing flashes on earnings and press releases. But you also get a chance to dig in super deep and really understand the industry trends and dynamics.

hobbes928 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Having been on both sides of the fence, no way > would I ever go back to the sellside. > The money argument is not true, especially if you > take your annual salary/total working hours. > As for stress being lower on the buyside, that > depends on whether you’re working for a Citadel or > a sleepy long only mutual or pension fund. > Personally, the one benefit I see to working on > the sellside is that it provides you with the > opportunity to develop a network that can lead to > other things. My experience on the buyside has > been better money, better hours, work is more > rewarding, client to wall st. = > events/dinners/conferences/entertainment etc., can > put on my headphones and listen to Deadmau5 all > day while modeling and not being bothered. I’ve only been interning on the buy-side for about a month, but this has been my experience as well. Glad I started my career on the sell-side as it helped me develop a basic skill set and credibility, but there is no way I would go back.

In research, there are so many more buyside positions than sell side positions that saying sell side pays better than buyside is akin to saying NBA players make more than MLB players. It totally depends on the player.

Agreed with brain_wash_your_face. Don’t hate the playa, hate the game.

hobbes928 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Having been on both sides of the fence, no way > would I ever go back to the sellside. > The money argument is not true, especially if you > take your annual salary/total working hours. > As for stress being lower on the buyside, that > depends on whether you’re working for a Citadel or > a sleepy long only mutual or pension fund. > Personally, the one benefit I see to working on > the sellside is that it provides you with the > opportunity to develop a network that can lead to > other things. My experience on the buyside has > been better money, better hours, work is more > rewarding, client to wall st. = > events/dinners/conferences/entertainment etc., can > put on my headphones and listen to Deadmau5 all > day while modeling and not being bothered. I think this is pretty accurate