why is 70% the magic score?

why do people here seem to think 70% is the magic score? i thought they decide on the cutoff only after they see everyone’s answers. if too many people score higher than 70, then the cutoff could be 84 or something higher like that.

I’d like to imagine everyone will crap their pants and I get 5%+ for having left with a clean pair of underwear

it’s not a number of people that pass but a % of the highest score…

i think they use the top 5% scores and set that as 100% because no one ever gets 100% on these exams. So you can bet the cut off prob will be a bit less than 70 for sure.

i don’t know ithe answer. but i wouldn’t worry about the average score being 70 or greater than 70 on any cfa exam…

Milk, I think the CFA Institute has even said (or maybe it’s just Schweser) that no one has ever failed with a score of 70 or above. So I think that’s why.

The Schweser Level 2 instructor says that CFAI tells Schweser that they have NEVER failed a candidate at any level who scored 70% or greater on an exam. Find that hard to believe? So do I until I look at the average scores for every Schweser practice exam. Guess how many are above even 65%? Zero. And they exclude tests scores below 36% from the averages. The scores you see from AFers are not representative of “average” in my view. A lot fo people on this forum are in a different league than your average writer.

Search their website, there’s an entire article on the subject where basically they tell you a 70% is golden. And that their test is too hard to get a 100% on. Try searching this site too the subject’s been curbstomped to death.

and the mocks are set to 70% pass/fail line.

kbakes Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Milk, I think the CFA Institute has even said (or > maybe it’s just Schweser) that no one has ever > failed with a score of 70 or above. So I think > that’s why. Not again…no one knows, not schweser, not stalla, even CFAI does not release such info…only my neighbourhood watch dog knows…and he says wooof wooof, so you translate