Why is the market down today?

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t know. > > Maybe one of our resident clowns can enlighten us. made me laugh out lol

i like how all of the AF-ers replying in this thread, including myself, exude a subtle and humble confidence that the term “resident clowns” does not really apply to them here

I definitely don’t know that much but talk a lot. 70% of working in finance is knowing how to BS other people. This is good practice.

better than an angry clown. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Angry%20Clown

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Buying some financial stocks. Added son BAC. Smart.

@mo: why do you hate yourself for it? do you not make a good living? are you not able to support and provide for your family because of the work you do for the HF? Whats the problem? Do you want to go be a teacher and be “making a contribution” but then not be able to feed your kids? I don’t understand. Please elaborate.

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @mo: why do you hate yourself for it? do you not > make a good living? are you not able to support > and provide for your family because of the work > you do for the HF? Whats the problem? Do you want > to go be a teacher and be “making a contribution” > but then not be able to feed your kids? I don’t > understand. Please elaborate. even at your dream job, whatever that might be, there are some clowns above you in the hierarchy who are generally clueless idiots but get more of something that you want (whether it is money, recognition, appreciation from others, or free skittles), and are unfairly screwing you in some form. it’s the universal law of the system, and some adapt well to its reality and even use it in their favor while others may not or refuse to try

^I completely agree with you MS, but this would seem to imply that mo wouldn’t be happy regardless of where he was working. So, why not be happy at a well paying job that allows you to provide for your family? I guess this is why i was asking mo all those questions.

i can’t speak for mo, but there are some well-paying jobs at which i won’t feel happy or satisfied because i’ll feel i am doing something worthless or meaningless by my standards. it’s a very broad topic that has been discussed before here, but i am sure you can think of some examples that apply to you in particular

Sure I can, but if I can earn a decent living and provide for my family I wouldn’t care if I was cleaning toilets (and I actually think I have made this statement here before so I’m not just BSing). At that I think you can hardly compare working at an HF to cleaning toilets. What do they have you doing there that’s so bad mo? Or is it just your conscience eating at you? What would you optimally be doing for a living if you could do anything right now?

i would care if i was cleaning smelly toilets! why the hell would i do that, if i can do something that i actually like and still provide for my family. i’d probably clean toilets out of necessity and be unhappy about it, and look for something else.

Like I said if I can earn a decent living doing it I would (granted my definition of a decent living is probably not the norm). “i’d probably clean toilets out of necessity and be unhappy about it, and look for something else.” Sure this is just a rational response. If there is something you can do for the same amount of money but they you like more you have a more efficient outcome to your ends. The thing with mo is there aren’t that many jobs out there that pay better than a HF.

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @mo: why do you hate yourself for it? do you not > make a good living? are you not able to support > and provide for your family because of the work > you do for the HF? Whats the problem? Do you want > to go be a teacher and be “making a contribution” > but then not be able to feed your kids? I don’t > understand. Please elaborate. As you get older (and more comfortable) you start asking yourself questions about what you will be leaving behind once you’re gone, about decisions you have made earlier in your life and wish you could take back, about what people will remember you for and so on. I feel bad complaining given that I was so lucky in my life, but deep inside I can’t shake my disappointment with myself.

^ Sincerely, Warren Buffet and Bill Gates

Today I was active in my personal portfolio. I bought some GS today. Obama’s recent bank hating is just rhetoric. If it ever goes through, by the time commitees, lobbying, analysis, etc it will get watered down to something with little effect on profitability. I also added to EM equity funds. The dollar is overvalued. EM currencies are drastically overvalued. I plan on holding these positions for a very long time as I watch their growth outpace ours and their currencies appreciate. This weeks selloff gave me a nice entry point. I’m also short the long bond, but unfortunately, since last week (this trade is obviously not going well so far). I think it resumes its selloff next week. Bernanke will be confirmed. Fannie and Feddie will not be abolished in the middle of a recession/housing correction. Jobs data will improve.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I definitely don’t know that much but talk a lot. > 70% of working in finance is knowing how to BS > other people. This is good practice. I know a guy whos pretty successful and he doesn’t say anything really he just sits there and smiles. His whole gig is to be emotinally superior to the other people. Like he’ll say how can I help you with your problems. It does work cause most people have an inferiority complex anyways and are looking for professinals to take care of them. They assume that people know more than them. I could never pull it of but he has kind of made a career of it.

flynnch Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know a guy whos pretty successful and he doesn’t > say anything really he just sits there and smiles. > His whole gig is to be emotinally superior to the > other people. Like he’ll say how can I help you > with your problems. > > It does work cause most people have an inferiority > complex anyways and are looking for professinals > to take care of them. They assume that people > know more than them. I could never pull it of but > he has kind of made a career of it. I make a living in a similar way but I say lots of things to my clients all the time. Hence my screenname.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > flynnch Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I know a guy whos pretty successful and he > doesn’t > > say anything really he just sits there and > smiles. > > His whole gig is to be emotinally superior to > the > > other people. Like he’ll say how can I help > you > > with your problems. > > > > It does work cause most people have an > inferiority > > complex anyways and are looking for > professinals > > to take care of them. They assume that people > > know more than them. I could never pull it of > but > > he has kind of made a career of it. > > I make a living in a similar way but I say lots of > things to my clients all the time. Hence my > screenname. I’m in a similar situation. No one talks to me or questions me at work, they are under the impression that I am so knowledgeable and “smart” that they would look stupid if they talked to me or asked me any question. Even my boss avoids me, he’s assumption probably is : “I know Mo, he’s good, he must know what he’s doing, it’s better to leave him alone” … I wonder how long this can go on …