Will work for free

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entryID=15783403&categoryID=0&IsSticky=0&groupID=102479014&Mytoken=1F6C5662-4B4D-42E9-8A9DEBAAF0ED18A533089681 Maybe leverage some of that real estate experience. I might also suggest starting up a website or blog where you post investment-relative material. Wouldn’t hurt to have that be the top thing that comes up on a google search, since your “selling point” is apparently your passion for the industry.

:stuck_out_tongue: he already said he got offers… and it not like his skills are unrelated. I think it was in Peter Lynch’s book that i read something about how he compares trading to play stud poker with infinite number of cards.

@Gefvert Hey how did you do on your search? How did you put the poker part on your resume?

Gefvert Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > $70k a year is actually very easy to make at > poker, if you have a passion for it. I never > really wanted to do it for a living. It’s just > easy money, but not a career. The site that offers > 9% to Elite VIP players is Absolute poker. > > I think I can contribute greatly to the investing > world. And it would be a career that I’d feel good > about doing too. > > Don’t think you can get an accurate description of > what I’m suitable for by reading a couple posts, > darkhelmet. And you’re saying that an internship > won’t help me get work? Would you rather pay > someone to work for you with hardly any > experience, or someone with free experience? This is probably Absolute’s version of Rakeback. Gefvert, what limits are you playing at?

Its interesting because my roomate in college also made 100k a year playing online poker. He was all numbers though and completely ignored the other players, unless they raised preflop. He used to play in like 3-6 dollar limits, but he made his money on the fact that he had two huge widescreen monitors and he played 8 tables at once.

Gefvert, you’re awsome! Offering to work for free usually does not work, did not work in my case. When I cold called a whole bunch of companies before, and even offered to work for free to some, they said due to confidentiality conflict, they wouldn’t want an unpaid employee or “volunteer” at their firm, as that may stir up trouble. I think your story speaks for itself. You’d be an awsome trader. I would think there is a high correlation between success/work ethics in poker and trading.

“If you can easily make over $100k per year playing poker, why not spend 25 hours a week playing and then spend the rest of your time managing your own assets? Why would you want to go work for someone else if you could do it on your own?” 100K as self employed really isnt that much. Once you factor in the taxes (especially employer Soc sec piece) it takes it down a good bit. So unless that grows I would think he would want some other income… I say this based on DFW cost of living…might go further elsewhere (although I doubt other big cities).

Absolute? WTF? Hey when I had an account with them 2 years ago they “forced” me to close when Bush’s pockets got lighter. Do they allow people to gamble again or do you have an off-shore account? When I quit playing I stopped following the rule changes and whatnot… Thanks and good luck to you. I have a friend at an LA firm, I’ll ask him, but as everyone mentioned, the hardest part about getting your foot in the door, is getting your foot close to the door…

I think in the US it is still illegal (regardless of how they enforce it)…so you still run the risk of someone taking your money. As they say you have to go to court with clean hands to win…

So then he doesn’t live in the US? And if so, working in LA means he won’t get his fatty 75k poker salary? I know that a friend of mine continued playing/still plays on Bodog after they enforced the rules. I want to start back up, but don’t want to go through the headache of ensuring legality

I think if you are in the US, it is clear it is illegal…it is what they can do about it. In other words, trying getting your money back from a site legally if they were to take it. I dont see the law helping much. I remember some site 2-3 years ago I used for sports betting that when I wanted to withdraw they said they were having trouble and it wouldnt work. I asked when…they said maybe next YEAR. I think I ended up losing it on the over/under of the NBA all-star game. Like my friend that used to sell drugs. If people didnt pay or stole the only thing he could do is go burn there car. Not like he could call the cops…or sue…