WillyR - employment question

one of my coworkers at my BB firm is a temp/consultant hired on for 3 months. he is straight from undergrad. what is the typical career track for someone like him? do they bounce around firms in different groups?

Well in the current environment I could see him being “bumped around” ya. Strikes me as a tough environment for a rookie to find something good. But tell him to take that experience and just keep at it and keep leveraging it, he’ll get something good. Willy

The one thing about these rotational type set ups is that you gain experience to the whole firm in a year and you can decide where abouts your interests lie. Willy

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The one thing about these rotational type set ups > is that you gain experience to the whole firm in a > year and you can decide where abouts your > interests lie. > > Willy I worked for a mutual fund company that had a rotation program. While I’m sure the people in this program “found themselves” through that process, they all predictably chose the highest paying job at the end of the year. Big surprise.

Cash is definitely key but you have to find something you like and are good at. Your colleagues will flock to you if you’re a fountain of knowledge and are a great person to be around on top of that. You can use THIS as your leverage or driver of salary margins. Willy

I totally agree, Willy. I don’t think those kids 1 year out of undergrad understood that, though. They got dollar signs in their eyes.

Like I use to hate this fund of funds I work for now. But quite frankly, its grown on me immensely. Like a lot of our staff are what you call discount or VALUE oriented staffers. That means that they don’t really know much. It’s easy to look like a star. And the money is okay and the perks are great. What more do I need? Willy

i think he is talking about 3rd party temps, not rotational programs