Wis., Ohio high-speed rail money goes elsewhere

I think this is a really bad idea for the Governors of these states to put ideology over what will economically benefit both the states. Well, these midwestern states can continue down their path of economic irrelevancy. I guess their loss is California and Florida’s gain. WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is taking $1.2 billion in high-speed rail money away from Ohio and Wisconsin and awarding it to other states, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Thursday. Both Ohio and Wisconsin have elected incoming Republican governors who oppose the rail projects. So LaHood said he is awarding their money to rail projects in states that are eager to have it. High-speed trains will not only improve transportation but reinvigorate manufacturing and put people back to work in jobs that pay well, LaHood predicted in a statement. States gaining the most money include California, $624 million; Florida, $342 million; Washington, $161 million; and Illinois, $42 million. Other states receiving lesser amounts include New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Oregon, North Carolina, Iowa and Indiana. A commuter rail line in Wisconsin between Milwaukee and Chicago will still get about $2 million. In Ohio, Gov.-elect John Kasich had declared dead a project that would have created passenger train service between Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland. He had requested LaHood allow him to use the $400 million in federal funds on other transportation projects like road construction or freight lines. The law that authorized funding for high-speed rail projects stipulated that the funds can’t be used for other purposes, however. Kasich has said that the top speed of 79 miles per hour on the proposed Ohio project is too slow and he has questioned whether enough people will ride it. Wisconsin Gov.-elect Scott Walker campaigned against a Madison-to-Milwaukee rail line, which would have received $810 million. Walker, who created a website opposed to the project, has called it a waste of taxpayer money. He wrote to President Barack Obama asking for permission to spend the money on roads and bridges. Outgoing Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat, called the loss of the rail project “a tragic moment” for his state. Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., accused Walker of killing jobs in his home state “a month before he’s even been sworn into to office.” Without rail between Milwaukee and Madison, it will be difficult for Midwestern leaders to fulfill their vision of having 110-mph trains linking Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison and Minneapolis-St. Paul. The route was a key segment of the Midwest Regional Rail Initiative, an effort by officials in nine states to create a network of fast, frequent trains. Political leaders in states likely to benefit from the cancellation of the Wisconsin and Ohio projects have been lobbying for a share of the $1.2 billion since Election Day. Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California said, “No other state is as ready, as able, or as determined to develop a high-speed rail system in the near future.” California is working toward the construction of a high-speed rail system that would eventually extend some 800 miles, linking Sacramento and San Francisco to San Diego. The trains would travel at a speed of up to 220 miles an hour. In lobbying for federal funding, lawmakers from the state note that voters have already approved more than $9 billion in bonds to help finance the project. Construction is expected to begin in late 2012.

I love Marcus Phoenix

NYCGorilla Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I love Marcus Phoenix Thanks, me too.

I just hope this crook jackass Rick Scott that just got elected doesn’t screw this up for FL.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think this is a really bad idea for the > Governors of these states to put ideology over > what will economically benefit both the states. > Well, these midwestern states can continue down > their path of economic irrelevancy. I guess their > loss is California and Florida’s gain. > > WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is taking > $1.2 billion in high-speed rail money away from > Ohio and Wisconsin and awarding it to other > states, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said > Thursday. > > Both Ohio and Wisconsin have elected incoming > Republican governors who oppose the rail projects. > So LaHood said he is awarding their money to rail > projects in states that are eager to have it. > > High-speed trains will not only improve > transportation but reinvigorate manufacturing and > put people back to work in jobs that pay well, > LaHood predicted in a statement. > > States gaining the most money include California, > $624 million; Florida, $342 million; Washington, > $161 million; and Illinois, $42 million. Other > states receiving lesser amounts include New York, > Maine, Massachusetts, Oregon, North Carolina, Iowa > and Indiana. > > A commuter rail line in Wisconsin between > Milwaukee and Chicago will still get about $2 > million. > > In Ohio, Gov.-elect John Kasich had declared dead > a project that would have created passenger train > service between Cincinnati, Columbus and > Cleveland. He had requested LaHood allow him to > use the $400 million in federal funds on other > transportation projects like road construction or > freight lines. > > The law that authorized funding for high-speed > rail projects stipulated that the funds can’t be > used for other purposes, however. > > Kasich has said that the top speed of 79 miles per > hour on the proposed Ohio project is too slow and > he has questioned whether enough people will ride > it. > > Wisconsin Gov.-elect Scott Walker campaigned > against a Madison-to-Milwaukee rail line, which > would have received $810 million. Walker, who > created a website opposed to the project, has > called it a waste of taxpayer money. He wrote to > President Barack Obama asking for permission to > spend the money on roads and bridges. > > Outgoing Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat, > called the loss of the rail project “a tragic > moment” for his state. > > Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., accused Walker of killing > jobs in his home state “a month before he’s even > been sworn into to office.” > > Without rail between Milwaukee and Madison, it > will be difficult for Midwestern leaders to > fulfill their vision of having 110-mph trains > linking Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison and > Minneapolis-St. Paul. The route was a key segment > of the Midwest Regional Rail Initiative, an effort > by officials in nine states to create a network of > fast, frequent trains. > > Political leaders in states likely to benefit from > the cancellation of the Wisconsin and Ohio > projects have been lobbying for a share of the > $1.2 billion since Election Day. > > Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California > said, “No other state is as ready, as able, or as > determined to develop a high-speed rail system in > the near future.” > > California is working toward the construction of a > high-speed rail system that would eventually > extend some 800 miles, linking Sacramento and San > Francisco to San Diego. The trains would travel at > a speed of up to 220 miles an hour. In lobbying > for federal funding, lawmakers from the state note > that voters have already approved more than $9 > billion in bonds to help finance the project. > Construction is expected to begin in late 2012. Good for Ohio. High-speed rail has no business in that state or many others in this country for that matter. If you’ve ever lived there, as I have for 18 years, practically no one would ride the damn thing with the exception of maybe Cleveland with its pathetic light-rail. Key words: “High-speed trains will not only improve transportation” What joke. High-speed rail makes sense only in dense areas such as the NE corridor and possibly California (even there I really question it). People will continue to opt for cars as they aren’t constrained to a schedule and air travel will continue to out-price trains. Bring back manufacturing??? “reinvigorate manufacturing” How is high-speed rail going to lower costs for manufacturers to return to these states and compete effectively with China? “put people back to work in jobs that pay well” -> overpay govt. workers, which my guess will be union so you can stack on more costs and delays. I love high-speed trains and I know there’s this romantic idea of having them whiz across the US, but the reality is that it makes little sense to have them in rural areas. Japan, which arguably is the best place for high-speed rail struggles making ends meet with its system.

79mph should not be called high speed rail.