I currently have 2 offers on the table: 1.) Wealth Management Analyst offer with a base of $60k + bonus potential. 2.) Junior Equity Analyst offer of $50k. My goal is to be an equity analyst, but it sounds like this junior position entails a lot of grunt work while the WM position is an officer position with plenty of room to grow. The equity analyst position offered me the $50k while they knew that I had an offer of $60k on the table (due to apparent cash flow problems?). Which offer should I accept?
You could be a baller and take both. Seriously though, I just want to get this straight: You’ve been offered the job of which it is your stated goal to obtain, yet you’re considering something else? Do I have that right? OK. If it’s want you want to do, take it. 10K is nothing at this stage in the game.
lxada269 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I currently have 2 offers on the table: 1.) > Wealth Management Analyst offer with a base of > $60k + bonus potential. 2.) Junior Equity > Analyst offer of $50k. > > My goal is to be an equity analyst, but it sounds > like this junior position entails a lot of grunt > work while the WM position is an officer position > with plenty of room to grow. The equity analyst > position offered me the $50k while they knew that > I had an offer of $60k on the table (due to > apparent cash flow problems?). Which offer should > I accept? cash flow problems? if i were you id be hesitant to work for a company that has problems of that nature. I worked for a company with those sort of problems in the past and it is not a fun situation to be in. It tends to age you prematurely. could you post a job description of the competing offers? maybe the WM job will give you the exposure you want the downsides that seem to be present at the other position.
Think long term … and see which position will get you to your long term goals easier/faster.
think about career advancement, future opportunities, etc etc… i agree, $10K is not much difference IF there is a better chance of advancement…
“You could be a baller and take both.” 'nuff said.
lxada269 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > My goal is to be an equity analyst, but it sounds > like this junior position entails a lot of grunt > work. You don’t get to the equity analyst position without doing the grunt work and in fact that “grunt work” teaches you things you probably need to know to do the job effectively. i can’t remember how many times I writing a report now and realize that had I not been an associate at one point I never would have known how to find some of the info I used to write the report.
I agree with above comments… I recommend to forget about money, at least for now, and to concentrate on getting the right experience. If the Equity Analyst position comes from a small company, I assume they would not be able to offer you more anyway. But with the experience you’ll get, you can always move to a bigger firm with a higher salary. I had a similar situation: middle office big firm $60K vs. front office FI mid-size firm $55K. Didn’t think twice. I know wealth management is a front office, but it’s a very different field and you might want to research it more before getting in.
I made my decision: Equity Analyst all the way baby! My journey: 6 months ago I graduated in the top 10% of my MBA class. I was on cloud 9. Five months ago I took level 2. After taking level 2, I took a couple of vacations (gone for about a month). So, starting about four and a half months ago I started looking for an equity analyst position. I went on a few interviews, but nothing except an equity analyst opportunity that was contingent on my passing level 2. During that time I received my results from the CFA: Fail. I was torn. I didn’t get the job. I felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest. I decided to allow myself to be upset…for a day. The day after my mourning I signed up for level 2 again (at least I tried too; the CFA site was not working). For the past 4 1/2 months I have been searching for a job while studying for level 2. I had some good interviews, but no offers. A week and a half ago I received the Wealth Management offer. Two days later I received an email from a small buyside firm I interviewed with. My contact asked for my phone number. Pure excitement! He called and told me that I didn’t get the job and that they gave it to someone else! Once again, I’m torn. I spent the next couple of days deciding whether I should take the WM job, or go on a few more interviews for equity analyst positions. To help me make my decision I called my contact at the small buyside firm (he had been very helpful with my search). I told him about my possible opportunity and he gave me some advice. The very next day he called me and asked what I was being offered for the WM position. He was interested in hiring me along with the other guy. My guess is my talk with him sparked more interest. He offered my $10k less than the WM, no desk, tons of risk, but the opportunity to do equity research! I had to make my decision by today. Of course I followed my heart and took the Equity Research position. Back on Cloud 9!