Work Exp Question

I’m currently a Financial Advisor with a large firm and starting the process of attaining my CFA Charter. I work in a team setting and am far more the investment brains of the operation rather than the sales side. My days are spent analyzing, designing and creating portfoliuo’s for high net worth clients. I’m curious if my work experience will count toward the required experience for the CFA charter or whether I’ll have to begin the job change process earlier than I planned, as in the end I’d far prefer to be on the purely analysis side of the field. Though in the current economy, with a solid job, and solid income I’ve decided for now it’s a far better option to stay put at the time being.

yeah im fairly certain this counts…

People with much more dubious experience than that have gotten credit.

Does personal investing count? (Sorry I had to)

from what i remember no, it does not.

fyi, this topic is usually covered on the L3 forum (and you’ll find lots of useful discussion via Search there)

I was being sarcastic :wink:

I’ve seen work experience covered in the L3 forums and searched around for a post related to financial advisors but could not come up with anything specific. Thank you for your responses I figured it was better to ask now rather than later as it seems some have unfortunately experienced when applying for their charter.

http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,702091,page=3

If you are designing portfolios or making investment recommendations or providing analysis that is a primary *input* to the investment decision, then you’re good to go. If you are just implementing the decisions of someone else’s invesment analysis or portfolio decision, it will be a harder sell.

I don’t use prepackaged products for my recommendations 99% of the time, as they’re just trash thrown together to look like something positive on the front page. That said I have designed and implemented and monitor four major allocations that fit most clients goals. The vast majority of my business is managed money in the portfolio’s I’ve created and monitor with a handful of my business involving option strategies as well as a very small amount involving general brokering

rocc77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve seen work experience covered in the L3 forums > and searched around for a post related to > financial advisors but could not come up with > anything specific. > > Thank you for your responses I figured it was > better to ask now rather than later as it seems > some have unfortunately experienced when applying > for their charter. here it is right here. listed under sample acceptable job titles is “financial adviser” http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/charterholder/membership/jobtitles.html