work exp rejected Corporate Financial Analyst

Just saw that my 3 year experience as a Corporate Financial Analyst was rejected, which is weird seeing that Financial Analyst is in the charter designation! I wrote: General job function was gathering, compiling, and analyzing data from the general ledger, accounts payable, and financial reporting systems to reconcile and report on finances. Analyze financial statements to interpret activity, liquidity, solvency, profitability, and valuation ratios and make go-no go recommendations on projects. Specific job duties: Calculate net present value and payback period of financial projects. Perform budget and cost analysis to analyze and forecast returns and constraints. Account for assets using principles of revenue recognition an accrual accounting. Perform audits of financial assets to determine compliance with GAAP standards and other regulations. Researching accounting variances and making adjustments where possible and formulating recommendations based on financial trends to present to management. As a Reporting Analyst, my recommendations on return measures and financial liquidity were used in formulating and maintaining cash management positions and using other investable assets for profitability. Anyway, status says more detail needed. Anyone have their experience as a financial analyst approved? Mind sharing what you wrote or which LOS you tied it to? Thanks.

Go on workopolis or other job board and type " Financial Analyst" It is one of the most broadly used job titles. Every company has Financial Analysts. Would you take investment advise from a guy who was a financal analyst at Subway who determined the right pricing to use for the toppings ? The designation should have been called CIA, chartered investment analyst. but I believe that abbreviation is already being used. Based on your experience written above, I wouldnt approve you either. How were you involved in the actual investment process ? Nothing above shows that you added value in analyzing securities or making investing suggestions to investors. You must use the L3 Los as a guide when creating your work experience.

IH8FSA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Go on workopolis or other job board and type " > Financial Analyst" > > It is one of the most broadly used job titles. > Every company has Financial Analysts. Would you > take investment advise from a guy who was a > financal analyst at Subway who determined the > right pricing to use for the toppings ? > > The designation should have been called CIA, > chartered investment analyst. but I believe that > abbreviation is already being used. > > Based on your experience written above, I wouldnt > approve you either. How were you involved in the > actual investment process ? Nothing above shows > that you added value in analyzing securities or > making investing suggestions to investors. > > You must use the L3 Los as a guide when creating > your work experience. +1, I am done with the CFA if we have “Financial Analysts” and “IT gurus” getting their work experience approved

I think it depends. Cos one of my experience is as auditor, which I did not expect them to approve it. They did approve 64 months (it surprised me). I have been waited for 2 months to get my recent jobs over 4 years. I wrote: 'assigned as external auditor for financial institutions, including investment banks, insurance companies and commerical banks. Major activities including: Onsite filed auditing financial statements and internal controls participated IPO projects and provided corporate advisory service. performed company valuations. I always started from my role in the firm and then some relevant details. hope that helps.

joehogue Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just saw that my 3 year experience as a Corporate > Financial Analyst was rejected, which is weird > seeing that Financial Analyst is in the charter > designation! joehogue, I work in corporate finance for a financial services company. It just so happens that one of my duties is external reporting (financial reporting analyst). All of my corporate finance experience was approved even though I felt I could have added more detail to my responsbilities. I would be willing to help you offline via phone conversation in place of e-mail. If you’re interested, respond back.

Hey SouthFlorida, Definately would like to hear your thoughts. Whenever your schedule permits. I am central time here in Iowa. Email me at jhogue99@hotmail.com (not sure if we can post emails here, hope so). Thanks in advance. Joe Hogue Labor Market Economist Iowa Workforce Development

joehogue Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey SouthFlorida, > Definately would like to hear your thoughts. > Whenever your schedule permits. I am central time > here in Iowa. Email me at jhogue99@hotmail.com > (not sure if we can post emails here, hope so). > > Thanks in advance. > Joe Hogue > Labor Market Economist > Iowa Workforce Development Joe, check your e-mail. I just got back into work mode with the new year.

Joe, If you could forward along to me what southfloridaguy emailed to you, I would be interested in taking a look. I emailed you last week about the work exp - I know you sent me over your details on the work experience, but seeing southfloridaguy write up could only help me. If you need me to email you again, please let me know.

opsspec Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Joe, > > If you could forward along to me what > southfloridaguy emailed to you, I would be > interested in taking a look. > > I emailed you last week about the work exp - I > know you sent me over your details on the work > experience, but seeing southfloridaguy write up > could only help me. > > If you need me to email you again, please let me > know. o, i offered to help Joe over the phone; nothing specifically was sent via e-mail.

Joe you have a good background and pay no heed the indignant comments from those self appointed studs that feel that only they have the right background! I believe that “at least 50 percent of your work experience must be Directly involved in the investment decision-making process or engaged in responsibilities and/or producing a work product that informs or adds value to that process” and in your role as a Corporate Analysis there is a possibility that you have been in a position (depending on your particular company and job circrumstances) that you have informed and/or influenced the investment decision making process in a more material way than half the jokers that that find comfort in their cozy “stereotypical” place suckling at the largesse of wall street. There are plenty of boilerplate roles that directly support the investment process that would satisfy the requirements terminology (or even direct decision making roles that are very narrow) that frankly may not be any more relevant than yours! But I agree the term financial analyst is tough to get a handle on and there are several things in your application job description that I suggest let to their judgement: - gathering and compiling especially in the context of General Ledger wont get points at all - performing audits and compliance with GAAP likewise along with application of accounting principles - dont use the term reconciliation - not very sexy It is interesting that even though these things account for a good portion of the testable material in the CFA level I and II exams these are not relevant in your experience but now GIPs reporting experience is another matter! So developing and applying the investment decision models and the associated analysis around them really have to be the focal point in your experience summation - were you involved in acquisitions or divestiture analysis, and other corporate events that would ring their chimes? Anyway as I wrote this it occurs to me that our last market meltdown (the liquidity crisis) occured because the basic assumptions underlying the sorcery of these esteemed “required” investing activities (structured debt securities, underlying debt quality, risk, leverage, credit derivatives, transparency) were all toppled by the basic failure to ask the basic questions outside those contained in the financial models and so dont ever underestimate the value of your reconciliation and audit and Corporate analytical work!

Im into corporate finance as well, i.e project finance May we all get together on one email thread and discuss how do we approach writing our description?

Just be smart about how you phrase things. The people reviewing the work experience applications don’t really know the difference. go/no go recommendations = investment decisions financial projects = capital investments It seems that a good portion of your job involves capital decisions, which in my opinion qualifies. Even reconciliation and data management can qualify if the information is used by other investment decision makers. But in the end, don’t lie about your work experience; just go get a new job. if you’re an entry level accounting analyst, you probably don’t qualify for the charter.

I started out by saying “I am currently involved in the investment management process by…”

Old post. I’ve been approved since Nov. just waiting on exam results.

joehogue Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Old post. I’ve been approved since Nov. just > waiting on exam results. Would you like to share your work description that you re-sent?

I’m convinced the CFAI just rejects everyone’s experience the first time, just to be jerks.

wow, how do you get jobs doing that stuff? I’m back end admin and I do little more than push paper from one pile into another. I’m sure I could do any one of the jobs above, just as well as you all who are doing them now, but no one’s giving me the green light. pretty frustrating

‘back end’ something is about right. arse.

what? you guys think you have special abilities cuz someone hired you? get over yourselves.

I have a not so traditional job and I was stunned when they approved all of it the first time around. Honestly, it’s a bit of a crap shoot. But, if you make the case that you are taking other peoples money and buying stuff with it in order to get return they generally will accept it. Anything else they are gonna be suspicious of, you might just be a bookkeeper or a typist.