work experience approval - continued.

so… at the end of the day. my 107 months of work experience got approved. yay. but it took a lot of crap to get here. i signed in this morning to check on the status of my upgrade request to “regular”. (I got rejected the first time because i only wrote one sentence to describe my job) when i got to the website it read, “job does not qualify” under reasons for rejection. so i thought to myself, i’ve been working 8 years and not adding any value to the investment process!! I also wrote a very thorough description this time around. even tied in LOS’s. I got pissed and called cfai right away ready to bang heads. the guy who answered the phone was awesome though. he read my description and said, “yeah, this should be approved, no question. i will print it out and walk it over to the guys who are charged to approve this. there are two of them and they are not, ummm, efficient.” 4 hours later, i’m approved. this is scary. how can they have this sort of subjectivity/room for error in the approval process? i hope this hasn’t happened to some of you guys. done complaining. at least i’m approved now. i guess the point of the story is to not hesitate in calling the cfai out on this type of stuff. it’s far from error proof.

you mind me asking when did you apply and how long did it take? Also can you share your descriptions on here please?

timeline if i remember correctly: applied late june, probably around 6/20 or so. cfai rejected my work experience within 4 days because the description was too brief and forwarded on to local society review with recommendation for affiliate membership. 7/5, the local society approves me for affiliate membership and I apply for an upgrade to regular membership. 4 days later, so yesterday, what i described above happened. Now with the hours approved, it’s back to the local society for final acceptance. they’ve got 45 days. my work experience, i don’t want to go word for word or mention the firm obviously… but it started off with a brief description of my team, the different strategies/portfolios that we run, and how much asset under mgmt. and my position on the team – trader. threw in some buzzwords from Los’s – regarding ensuring best execution, my performance being measured versus the VWAP, using algorithms, etc… monitoring portfolios for style drift… listening to daily morning research calls and relaying relevant info to portfolio managers with suggestions for the portfolios. it really was not that much. but kind of throwing in some buzzwords from the curriculum and linking it to your job i think helps them decide. good luck. the process was a lot more involved than i imagined it to be… ummm. there’s nothing unethical about sharing what i put in my work experience, right?

do sponsors apps have to be completed before work experience will be approved/rejected?

yes. for me, it first went to “sponsor review” or something like that then went to work experience review once both of my sponsors filled out their forms.

Thanks cfasf1… one more question: what does the sponsor form look like? what are they questions they ask them?

i think they just confirm what you do in your position. and a question on whether you are ok ethically as far as they know. that’s what my sponsor told me. it’s pretty brief.

How do you know when a sponsor completes the form? Does it immediately show up in the sponsor status?

You will get an email from CFAI as soon as a sponsor completes the form + you can see the updated information on “view my sponsors”

Do the sponsors both get the same form? whether he/she is your direct supervisor or not?

Just found this online: http://www.cfainstitute.org/memresources/join/pdf/sponsor.pdf

Nice one…thanks for that.

yes both sponsors have the same form and questions and i think there’s only three if i remember! i stood over each of their shoulders when they did it and helped!

my sponsors both mentioned they will do it next week…just fwd them the link today…

I got 43 months accepted right now… CFAI rejected a job that I had for 6 months which is borderline, but I think it is acceptable based upon CFAI’s stated requirements. After reading about cfasf’s experience I decided to duke it out with CFAI to get my sh!t straight before Aug 18th…

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I got 43 months accepted right now… CFAI > rejected a job that I had for 6 months which is > borderline, but I think it is acceptable based > upon CFAI’s stated requirements. > > After reading about cfasf’s experience I decided > to duke it out with CFAI to get my sh!t straight > before Aug 18th… yeah Mcleod… i bet if you push enough you get approved.

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > yeah Mcleod… i bet if you push enough you get > approved. I hope so… It’s not a huge deal waiting until November to get my 48 months, but I REALLY want this thing to be wrapped up by Aug 18th.