work experience questions - comments appreciated.

The following is the work exp I have submitted, may be I should have posted this prior to the application.

I kept it really brief like the level III essay answers!, I would appreciate ur comments if its too brief n needs more detail.

1) ( BANK name) – 8months

Credit Risk Team

•Perform Credit Risk Management functions across all business product groups, Investment Banking Operations activities (eg. Credit Risk, Regulatory Reporting, Finance, and Market Risk).

•Monitoring, Reconciling and Reporting firm-wide wholesale risk transaction and position data for Risk Management and Regulatory Reporting.

2) (BANK name) – 3+ years

Derivatives Team

•Risk Management of Derivatives & Fixed Income products for Treasury.

•Monitoring Credit, Market & Operational Risk related to Derivatives & Fixed Income products.

•Development & Implementation of systems to assist the Treasury in Investment decision making & Risk Management.

**3) (**Consultancy name) – 1.5 years

Consultant

•Development & Implementation of Systems to assist clients (Treasury Departments) in Investment decision making & Risk Management.

•Perform Investment Research, Due Diligence, Valuations for clients.

You need to elaborate on how your systems impacted the decision making process and how you contributed to that. How did you develop these systems? You coded them on the instructions of someone else? You project managed it? What? You need more detail, IMO.

curious if anybody has actually been rejected because of work experience (who has actually worked four years in finance positions).

Finance is a very broad term. My understanding is that you have to carefully word your experiences (of course truthfully) if your role isn’t directly related to making investment decisions.

For each of your bulleted tasks state ‘what you do’ in bit detail and then specifically state ‘how it contributes / adds value to investment decision making’. It is advisable to use relevant LOSs to formulate the description of this. Spend some time on it now instead of going through the process of getting rejected (‘too brief WE description’ is the usual CFAI ground for rejection) and going thro’ the hassle of reapplying. If in doubt search this forum for ‘work experience description’, you will get sufficient info. Best of luck.

For each of your bulleted tasks state ‘what you do’ in bit detail and then specifically state ‘how it contributes / adds value to investment decision making’. It is advisable to use relevant LOSs to formulate the description of this. Spend some time on it now instead of going through the process of getting rejected (‘too brief WE description’ is the usual CFAI ground for rejection) and going thro’ the hassle of reapplying. If in doubt search this forum for ‘work experience description’, you will get sufficient info. Best of luck.

Yes, i did some research and withdrew my application, & then re submitted with detail.

Thanks guys, I was a bit naive expecting CFAI would approve based on the Designation & the Department.

Great input!

Sorry Matt7. I make use of you post to seek for you guys advice. Looking at my working experience, do you feel that my role is related to making investment decision, as per CFA institute’s definition? Is it too specific? Should I remove something that is not related to making investment decision? What else am I missing?

Sorry for my poor grammar as I am not an English native.

Appreciated if you would give me your comments.

=====

Job Category: Quantative Inv./Risk Manager

Responsible for maintenance, development and implementation of a robust & efficient risk framework to support discretionary investment management for private clients.

• Liaise with portfolio managers to review and approve client investment mandates based on investment strategy, legal & tax constraints and unique circumstances.

• Ensure portfolios under managed is in compliance with internal & external policies/regulations.

• Monitor portfolios and address control issues, follow-up investment breaches & develop remediation action plan, with respect to consistency with SAA/TAA, investment strategy, client constriant, portfolio duration, FX and interest rate hedging positions, portfolio credit quality, portfolio PE, turnover ratio & iquidity risk etc.

• Monitor key risk attributs of portfolios managed, based on Time weighted average portfolio & composite return, return dispersions, sharpe ratio, and equity and fixed income performance attribution which are compared with relevant benchmarks.

• Ensure portfolio performance measurement, composite construction and performance reporting are conducted on a fair and comparable basis, with reference to GIPS.

• Advise management and IT on developing an in-house system that supports financial model development, a system called Investment Solution Analyzer that basically measures historical risk and returns of client portfolios and projects return forecasts by Monte Carlo Simulation with different risk preferences, as well as generates an efficient frontier based on different market indices.

• Conduct regular risk review for investment products.

• Advise portfolio manager on compliance/aduit issues in accordance with relevant regulations, manager code of conduct, internal policies & good market practices.

• Liaise with portfolio mangers & different stakeholders to implement new policies/regulations and establish new control framework and methodology for portfolio management.

• Promote the best practice & manager code of conduct.

Hi Lemonkit,

I just got my charter today - feels Awesome!

I believe (strongly) that you shouldnot have any issues with ur work experience. Well detailed!

let me know how it goes. Good Luck.

Matt, congrats on your charter. Please how long did it take from date of submission of application and approval of work exp. at what point did you pay the subscription or membership fees?

Congrats Matt, welcome to the club.

@Naijapower & @Geo - ThankU!

@Naijapower

Right, so it was lot sooner than expected.

I applied late Sunday evening & by Wednesday evening I got the mail of approval asking me to pay the Membership fee. I paid & logged in again, to find ‘CFA’ next to my name! So in a matter of 3 days the entire thing was sorted, very efficient I must admit.

Make sure that you put in good detail to explain the contribution to investment decision making. Good Luck!

Congrats Matt7. It should be another most excited week after you received the official result on12th. Your hard working was paid, and same as mine…haha. Make sure you enjoy the feeling of this week before it will be cool down :slight_smile:

I am gonna withdraw my work experience and re-submit with proper contents. It has remained at thesame status since last week Friday

congratulations Matt7. looking forward to getting mine sorted out soon too. I thought it takes longer than you indicated yours took to get approval. Does the local society also have to approve or what exactly is their role in the whole process

looks good, i just did bullets , didn’t have any issues